• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Jersey 2007 spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
So Weeto you didn't fancy shooting the trigger - very good eating fish.

never seen one but supposed to be good eating - apparently really smelly to gut though and fond of biting you!

been a bit busy so not been in for a couple of weeks. will dive in the apnea comp on sunday though and hopefully plenty more besides.

Would have shot the one that swam straight in front of the gun but it was being followed by two bass. Got the second one. And yes, they are good eating.

Hi guys I’m new to spear fishing. I love eating fish, so decided this was the most ecological way of getting them (and cheapest). Went and spent a small fortune on gear at Apnea at the weekend. Watched everyone go out for the Jersey open. Then snuck out for a dive, only saw minnows and loads of shore crabs. Decided there where no fish out there. Two hours later all the competitors came back with strings of fish and some very scary looking congers. So i have decided I need someone to show me where the fish are. Please let me know when you are going out again and I will buy the beers. Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to db, you don't get much action in this thread which is a real shame. It would be nice to keep up more with the Jersey guys.
I think these are the results of the Jersey open?
Jersey Spearfishing Club
Anyway feel free to post on our Guernsey thread.

Hi dave - what sort of fish were you looking for? bass? they can be pretty tricky to find! some days they are every where, some days they are no where to be found. Most of the guys in the open went right out to the back heads into the deeper water, wouldn't suggest going all the way out there unless you know what you are doing and know the tides. Plus there are fish in closer. Not many bass came out in the open but they weren't really looking for them.

Ask Neil in Apnea to put you on his mailing list, he tries to organise some social dives and is really helpful, drop him an e-mail. Did you dive in his Silver Fish comp on sunday? I got 10th best bass - :friday !

At the risk of being too basic, the best places to look for the fish is in the thick stringy jap weed, there are huge areas covered in it, some more fishy than others. Just remember to be super slow and quiet, when you think you are slow and quiet enough then slow down a little more! Be patient and fish will come to you, you'll never be able to chase them down.

Prove me wrong! :)

The Gauntlet has been thrown, the challenge is there!
Which island will the grand prize end up on?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT