• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Johnson SMG speargun parts needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Definitely a great speargun! We are using all kinds of reloadable ammo for the SMG! We will soon narrow it down to the most inexpensive and reusable ammo. I added a plastic component to my stainless steel ammo casting. Yes, sealing all the ammo with things like glue or Vaseline to keep ammo from jamming are part of the learning curve! I have two guns and I am on the lookout for more! Call me in Florida at 407-703-6195 or email mfriedman1969@yahoo.com if you have anything SMG related

The lack of plastic "Sub-Ammo" sleeves has sidelined those SMG guns for decades, the guns first appeared in the late sixties and had about a decade or so of use before they became orphans. Tapmatic Corporation sold the tooling and parts to a New Zealand company that produced some guns probably from the stock of parts that they acquired as part of the sale. I assume part of the sale was the tooling for the sleeves which are more than just a simple tube. They are sealed at either end and also hold the spear in the gun. If someone wants to get these guns back into action the best approach would be to find that tooling and have more sleeves manufactured. Failing that you need one for a sample to replicate, they do exist, but are held for "museum" purposes. However being banned now in most countries and forbidden for use in obtaining spearfishing records as muscle power is considered the only legitimate means for spear propulsion such an endeavour would not be a commercial proposition.

This is why SMG guns appear to have had little use when sold on pla

ces like eBay, their owners ran out of ammo or were soon to do so and decided to sell off the gun before it became totally useless except for a wall hanger.
I have reusable ammo sleeves. I want all those wall hangers

You could try communicating on Spearboard as most of its members are in the USA, unlike here. For many spearfishermen a gun that is heavy in the water whether discharged or not means they cannot leave it to look after itself while they handle their catch. Although there is a lot of plastic in the SMG body the breech elements and barrel are where the weight is as they are all metal. Most spearguns float after the shot because they are of a low density construction or contain large internal air spaces such as the air tanks on pneumatic spearguns. The SMG would find no market today even if the law had not banned them.

Finding parts for the Johnson SMG speargun is a challenge due to the fact that they are no longer manufactured and haven't been for quite some time. These spearguns use “.22 caliber blank cartridges” to propel the spear, which is a unique design compared to most modern spearguns.

Reactions: FriedMan69
Finding parts for the Johnson SMG speargun is a challenge due to the fact that they are no longer manufactured and haven't been for quite some time. These spearguns use “.22 caliber blank cartridges” to propel the spear, which is a unique design compared to most modern spearguns.
Yes,
I have two guns and now can make the ammo sleeves too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT