• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

just made pole spear - with pictures added

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
had a bit of free time and a length of stainless tube and some tools, and voila, I have a new spear. The tip was a bit of work to make, especially fitting hand-made barb. But it was fun project. I don't even know what it would be good for, never had one before. How far can I shoot with it? What kind of rubber band should I fit to it? How do I aim at fish if I can only see it from sideways, can't aim as spear gun. Like I said, it was more of a fun project, I have two spear guns and this will be just something new to try. Suggestions/comments welcome.

it is 120 cm in length (about 47"). I wonder if this is too short for any serious fishing? Lets see if I can upload pictures. I don't know how to attach rubber sling to the pole, so I made that oval-shaped eye bolt at the end. It is same diameter as pole, so it should slide through my hand easy. Never used pole spear so I really don;t knwo what I am doing. Feel free to suggest a better setup. Still thinking where do I buy/steal rubber for a sling.
237_1117.JPG
237_1113.JPG
237_1111.JPG

Looks good to me (y) with regards the rubber, there are two ways to go, you can either use a pole specific rubber sling for this or if you have speargun rubber anyway, make a single rubber with a loop of webbing for the handle and attach the other end to the spear as normal. 14mm small internal diameter speargun rubber is perfect for this, depending on the weight of the spear. I attempted this with 18mm speargun rubber but to use this in real life terms without a loading aid is exceptionally tough and for the average person unrealistic. Some people who use strong rubber have a loop of dyneema attached to the spear and a hooking device on the rubber or webbing handle so that you can load and "cock" the spear. You then only have to release the spear without having to hold the strong rubber whilst under water holding your breath. Good luck with it and dive safe (y)

Reactions: Andrew the fish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT