• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Karma---and my knee is in cast for three weeks.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
UH!!

just a week ago I dislocated my kneecap.. I am out of diving for an other two weeks!!!! and well out of most things fun.. and I am supposed to recieve my new speargun at some point too.. Where did this bad carma came from??????

And then.. have any of you had knee problems and does it affect diving, should I keep out of water till I get my knee back in good shape.. ? I mean after the cast is out.. about 2 weeks?

Well I hope you guys are keeping to diving.. Rollerblading is dangerous sport...:head :head :head :duh

Dive Safe!

Pekka

Reactions: Alun
Pekka,
Ask your doc to send you to physical therapy and then ask your therapist about it. I have been given a lot harder exercises in physical therapy, after knee surgeries, than fin swimming. I would think fin swimming would be okay.

As far as kneecap injuries go, I think it’s one of the better knee injuries to have. If there is no ligament and cartridge damage, you should consider yourself lucky.

Good luck and don’t roller blade anymore with out complete safety gear. Injuries are just too detrimental to fitness.
don

Mr. Murphy strikes again

Sorry to hear about your injury. Looks like Mr. Murphy reared his ugly head again. As a constant walking wound, I feel your pain. Just make sure your knee is relatively pain free before you try to dive again. As far as a scotter goes, I don't know. Went flying over the handlebar of one of those Razor scooters kids ride around on. Only thing I hurt was my pride.

Brad

Actually, I meant "Diver Propulsion Vehicle" when I said scooter. I realized that it might not be clear, but I had painted myself into a corner when I titled my reply "One word ..."

Originally posted by Pekka
UH!! ---just a week ago I dislocated my kneecap.. I am out of diving for an other two weeks!!!! and well out of most things fun.. and I am supposed to recieve my new speargun at some point too.. Where did this bad carma came from??????

And then.. have any of you had knee problems and does it affect diving, should I keep out of water till I get my knee back in good shape.. ? I mean after the cast is out.. about 2 weeks?

Well I hope you guys are keeping to diving.. Rollerblading is dangerous sport...:head :head :head :duh Dive Safe!Pekka

Sorry to hear about the injury, Pekka.
Knee injuries hurt like stink....having ruptured/avulsed my ACL two years ago, I know. After an ACL reconstruction with a patellar graft and the addition of 2 hefty Titanium fixtures, I am better than ever....so there is life after an injury!

---Did you rupture your quadriceps?
Sounds like you got a righteous injury...
donmoore is right: a good physical therapist can help you recover if you stay within the parameters of what you are told and follow directions exactly. Being a 'hero' and pushing an injured knee beyond reason will keep you on the bench longer than you can imagine.
Hope you feel better and make a complete recovery.

The paramedics tried to put it back on the spot, but for some reson they could not do it there so in hospital we went where the Doc. would pump some morphine in me and put it back.... gosh it hurt..
I didnt rupture any ligaments.. it was quite clean as they said... I was so high with that gas and morphine that I am not sure what they said, but if I remember right they said that it looks like everything is still in place... I am so tired of this limping around like I would have a wooden leg... and my wetsuit is getting crispy dry hanging in my room.....
I don't need any surgery on my knee...luckily..

Sorry Pekka

Dam unlucky with your knee. hope you´ll be back in the water soon to gun down some of them tasty fish.

Joe

Reactions: Pekka
And today it comes off!!!! Finally.. and hopefully soon I am back spearfishing some serious fish...
Good luck to you all, and thanks for the sympathy...:) :t

Pekka

...slowdown, Cowboy....

Hey Pekka,
So glad to hear the plaster is coming off today...but remember, you probably have some serious physical therapy to do before getting -- um -- into the water!
Keep us posted, and congrats on making it thus far without taking hammer and saw to the cast ;)

Today, I got a Synvisc shot in my right knee, which is basically knee lubricant. I had a series done in both knees two years ago. You see I have been so fortunate to have had 5 knee surgeries for torn cartilage, all in my 20s. I made it through my 30s with not too much problem, but now in my 40s my knees are basically wearing out.

In my right knee, the lateral side is bone on bone. There isn’t much they can do for me until it gets so bad they do a knee replacement. They have a surgery now where they put in cartilage from cadavers, but the doctor says I don’t fit the strict profile requirements, because my knees have too many other problems. Basically you have to be young with no other problems.

The sad thing is I took up this sport, because it was easier on the knees than the other sports, like basketball, I used to do. Now my knees are having problems even with it. It really screws up my fining when my right leg can’t stay up with the left.

Enough of me feeling sorry for myself. Pekka, shoot some big ones for me too.
don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT