• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Karma...it comes around

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icarus pacific

Human-in-training
Nov 7, 2001
Far be it from me to have an opinion, but :mute ...

I just figured out this Karma thing here on DB and I've gotta tell you that I think it stinks in not being able to reply to the Karma granted you by the members. Yes, I'd like to thank someone that gives me a thumbs up on a post and all, (remember my contest now everyone...) and I'd REALLY like to reply to someone that deigns my take on something as an affont to their delicate sensitivities.

Now look, all the serenity prayers and chants in the World aren't going to make somebody with an ax to grind with you, do a 180 and see things your way, especially if that person(s) won't or can't find it within themselves to think it out. But to let that person have what is essentially tje final say, sucks. Now sure, I can lower myself to give that person a bad Karma vote, but then things are reduced to just another pissing contest. And Lord knows there's already enough of that. So do we need it, here?

I am dulling my angst by recalling my lone detractor's juvenile takes on topics he has little or no expertise in and the mass mail he has received calling him out. But let's face it, this site is about discussion and debate and is entered by those hoping that some measure of maturity is exhibited. The "invisible scoring" of Karma should not be about getting revenge and defensive when your EDUCATED opinion, error, or ignorance is called to light.

Ah. That's much better.

sven
notorious deeper blue member

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Originally posted by icarus pacific

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

I like that Sven ,it's very Zen......Zen Sven?:confused:

I agree about the last word and all that, but don't mind the karma thing. I actually don't believe in actual Karma as proposed by my favourite religions, which might surprise you, but certainly helps me to live with the odd detractor I've had on the karma board here at DB. To me, if someone can't even show their cyberface, which in itself doesn't take much courage, then I can't be bothered. I like DB for a lot of reasons, and one of them is that everyone seems to respect each other's opinions, despite the HUGE diversity in ethics and cultural background. Maybe we should take over the UN?
There's a load of faceless posting on Freediver UK, which is why I've just stopped reading the hardcopy, and taken it off my bookmarks on the computer. Too many people taking shots without even the balls to invent a fake email address for the victim to complain to.
If there's no name, then it's not worth the effort to type a response, I think. Water off a duck's back, and all that.
So, as you said, there you are!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Far be it from me to have an opinion, but :mute ...
<fumbles with controls>damn, this mind control software doesn't seem to work - he's still got opinions</fumbles with controls>

:D
I just figured out this Karma thing here on DB and I've gotta tell you that I think it stinks in not being able to reply to the Karma granted you by the members. Yes, I'd like to thank someone that gives me a thumbs up on a post and all, (remember my contest now everyone...) and I'd REALLY like to reply to someone that deigns my take on something as an affont to their delicate sensitivities...

...Now sure, I can lower myself to give that person a bad Karma vote, but then things are reduced to just another pissing contest. And Lord knows there's already enough of that. So do we need it, here?
Now, hence why the karma is anonymous rather than posted with someones name. The thing i've worked hard to try and avoid here (and sucessfully as Erik and others have said) is a p*ssing contest. I think my point is proved when you see two members here who disagree, sometime strongly, with each other on FDUK guestbook and AIDAUK mailing list - discuss issues calmly here.

Karma doesn't have to be used - people get positive and negative results from it, although the trend is more along the lines of upwards rather than downwards.

However, as always i'm constantly evaluating the benefits of every feature on the forums so if I ever see that one isn't really being used or is terribly unpopular i'd look to remove it.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Karma...it comes around

Sits back, sips his French roast, shakes his head...

Originally posted by Stephan Whelan

<fumbles with controls>damn, this mind control software doesn't seem to work - he's still got opinions</fumbles with controls>

Now, hence why the karma is anonymous rather than posted with someones name.

Hey, if the person doesn't have the stones to sign his/her name, they don't and can't count.

Karma doesn't have to be used - people get positive and negative results from it

The results are only positive if the Karma is genuine.

i'm constantly evaluating the benefits of every feature on the forums so if I ever see that one isn't really being used or is terribly unpopular i'd look to remove it.

Look at it hard. (there goes Anderson...)

Time to get the mentors and Editors off their duffs.

(goes back and sips his french roast)

sven

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jon
i think sven was molested by the family dog when he was a baby. :D and try some café cubano, it'll put some hair on your chest! ;)

yeah karma is a wierd thing here. and me, le grande kok (king of karma) even gets negative ones. granted it came from a non-freediver, i still irratated someone. and that makes me wanna cry! :waterwork and although i would like to take it as water off a duck's back, it's more like an unavoidable waterfowl enima!

i think the karma is supposed to signify a person's level of competence and not their level of social heirarchy. it's easy to post appeasing remarks, but it takes kahones to oppose an issue with something you strongly believe in. that's why it's a forum. everything's up for discussion.

personally, i'd rather see more subject matter in our profiles than using the trendy karma(no offense stephan, please don't yank MY karma now ;) ). i'd prefer to see members' history, prof. training, prof. experience, physiological experience(swbo's, sambas, rescues, etc), and most importantly, how long they've seriously been into freediving/spearfishing. then, i'd tend to weigh suggestions from the more decorated members a bit heavier than the inexperienced.

but it's not like i don't know everyone here already. so, this probably wouldn't help me much, but i think it would safen(word?) up things for our new members. i still shudder at the thought of having people misinterprate techniques and taking them past the mortal threshold. :(

so, don't use the karma for blackballing! :rcard step up to the plate if you've got a beef w/ someone and pm them!

anderson
..._[:]p

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT