• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

karma system?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

CEngelbrecht

Oct 31, 2002
How does that karma system work anyway? I haven't located any page on DB that explains it...

I'd like to know the same thing!

I know how to use it, but don't understand how it works.

Karma 101

Chris (and others),

The Karma system has been subject to intense debate and is actually one of the things changing when we start upgrading the forums over the next month or so.

At present the system works by taking into account several factors, such as length of time being a member, number of posts, frequent activity (such as browsing). In addition to this you can receive positive or negative Karma from other members (this causes the most swings in your Karma) and this is weighted by reputation of the member giving you Karma (i.e. people with High Positive Karma will give you more points).

The changes to the Karma system will be slight changes in the way it is calculated (only minor things as we're moving to a slightly different Karma system) but more importantly you will not be able to give negative karma anymore (only positive). Obviously this is the bit that has caused the most debate.

Hope that gives you a better idea of how it works.

you will not be able to give negative karma anymore (only positive).

Alright! Way to go Stephan! I'm sure this will make the board better and hopefully we will get along better. The worst thing for us is to alienate each other, because we need each other for safety, instruction, knowledge, political clout, etc..
don

i preffer autosigned karma instead of no- negative karma. Its more fair...

Reactions: Alison
Originally posted by Pezman
No negative karma? But I have developed a taste for it ...

I'll be sure to give you lots now while I still can! rofl

Can someone please explain to me how your points convert into the number of blue squares by your name? It used to seem that you divide your points by 100, and the result would be the number of blue squares, but this no longer holds after a certain amount of karma.

Do you have to be a moderator to show more than 7 blue squares?

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric,

Actually the number of squares get progressively harder to get. It has nothing to do with whether you are a moderator.

But look, my cheeks are full!!! - I thought your cat was a squirrel at first sight. :)

Adrian

I thought so.

Anyway the karma you should all be worried about is thoroughly explained in the following articles:

1. http://www.meta-religion.com/Psychiatry/Analytical_psychology/karma_and_archetype.htm

2. http://www.meta-religion.com/World_Religions/Buddhism/karma.htm

3. http://www.meta-religion.com/Spiritualism/Shamanism/fastest_way_to_release_karma.htm

4. http://www.meta-religion.com/World_Religions/Buddhism/wheel_of_life.htm

BTW, I have cleared all the bad karma I got in this forum ;)

Where does one find karmic feedback? References to signed and unsigned karma have me confused, for example.
Mark

Originally posted by mjacobs
Where does one find karmic feedback? References to signed and unsigned karma have me confused, for example.
Mark
Click "user cp" on the menu bar above.

Originally posted by Stephan Whelan
Actually the number of squares get progressively harder to get.

...and lucky for some of us, the more squares you have, the harder it is for people to take away those squares w/ neg karma :D . I'm going to miss the neg karma, but that's cuz I'm a leathery, old man. At times, the 'right' kind of neg karma can be just as rewarding as the pos ;). Doing away with it will help to bring more flowers and sunshine to the forum....the illusion that we all agree.

Soooo cynical - help! - I can't shut it off!

NO, seriously, someone help me.

Just a personal view ;) but wouldnt it be better to keep the negative karma? It is a way of keeping things freindly (well it is if your shallow enough to worry about it ;) ) Wouldnt it be better as that famous yoghurt eater Murat said :), to have auto-signed karma? LOL If there were now negative karms I'd have loads of blue squares now :)
I must learn to keep my mouth shut!

Maybe the title under someone's username could change depending on their popularity...

I'll know I'm in trouble when my title becomes something like 'Deeper Blue Timewaster', 'Deeper Blue Opinionated Windbag', 'Deeper Blue Spouter of Rubbish' etc.

Hope I'm not giving anyone ideas!

Reactions: DeepThought
Yeah, by the way, what is the deal with the titles under your name. Who set's them and why?

Titles under you name come purely from the number of posts you have made.

I set them although you can override them in your Profile section of the User Control Panel.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT