• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

karma system?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Bert ...

If someone with negative karma gives you negative karma, do you get:
  • Negative Karma
  • No Karma
  • A whole lotta karma

Attachments

• bert_n_ernie.jpg
    bert_n_ernie.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 204
Significance of pic

There was a classic skit on Sesame street where Ernie asked Bert, right before bed, if a circle had one side, no sides or a whole lot of sides. Bert was annoyed at the trivial question and told Ernie it was time to sleep. Ernie persisted for a while, but Bert was unable to interest the dour Bert. After they turned out the lights, Bert slowly started to realize that the question had some depth, while Ernie fell fast asleep. The punchline was that Bert stayed up the rest of the night wondering while Ernie slept like a baby ...

Hehe, thanks a lot Pez... Now I am gonna be awake for the rest of the night thinking about that question. :D Hehehe, nah, I already know the answer! And its a good question, what happens when a negative karma'd guy gives you karma...? Any answers anybody?

Reactions: Pezman
How many sides does a point have? And how many points on a circle? ;)

I remember a question like that (Ernie's) from Tintin. Someone asks Captain Haddock if he sleeps with his beard above or below the top bed sheet. The poor Captain couldn't sleep all night trying to remember!

Adrian

Does a circle have one side, no sides, or an infinite number of sides.... well, it depends on your definition of a 'side.' If you define a 'side' as a straight line segment of finite (non-zero) length, which terminates in connections to two other lines segments at different angles, then a circle has no sides.

If you define a side similarly to the above, but without the 'non-zero' length constraint, then the circle has an infinite number of sides.

I can think of other arguments for zero sides or an infinite number of sides, but I can't think of a good tangible argument for it having only one side, although that concept is easy to visualize...!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Answer is one side, just some dude curved the line and made it circle:D

Seriously it should be the one side. "Side" has made of infinite numbers of dot. So whatever it is, its infinite number of dots, thats makes it one side:hmm

I hate to ruin the "circle" debate but I will (sorry!).

I wouldn't mind getting my share of negative karma as long as I know who is giving it to me.

Murat's idea for autosign is the best!

Yin Yang

Sunshine is more appreciated after rain.

Whats the point of the word KARMA if it only comes honeyflavored?

Keep the negative karma but autosign it.

Sometimes we speak before thinking and we need that little friendly gesture of Bad karma. Thats more fun.

Seb

Hey Stephen,

New question for ya. Why does some of my karma register immediately, and some take a while...er, long while to show up in my user cp?

I just got one today dated: 22nd-December-2003 23:50

You hiring out over seas or something ;).

Ted

may be the date of your post!!! :confused:

Anyway the system is heading, a description of it would be much welcomed...

The auto sign seem a sensible option.

I'd go for the auto-sign idea too ... I echo the 'honey-flavoured' sentiments, that you can't have a meaningful good without a bad, but when the bad comes from out of nowhere, it means:

a) you don't know where to fire back at :blackeye,
b) you don't know whether you managed to wind the intended sucker up enough :naughty,
c) you perhaps don't even know WHY :confused:, and in any case,
d) the list of chicken-shits out there just got another entry on the bottom :mute

P.S. Eric, define a side in the following manner (coming from a real-world hardware engineer, rather than a theoretical 'softie' ;)), and you have your argument for a one-sided circle:

a 'side' is a boundary between 2 areas - this must not necessarily be straight, and in the real world, is never perfectly so: think of the 'side' of a car, monitor, etc. (taking natural tolerances into account, ANY object).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT