• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kayak questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

floridamike

Mar 21, 2003
Im in south east florida (boca raton) and now that time permits, am going to start diving. Im mostly interested in Free Diving..

I own a Ocean kayak Frenzy.. do all my paddling in the intercoastal and Ocean. I find it a little too small for that. at 9', it just doesnt track all that well in the chop and currents.

I want a larger one, but am having a hard time deciding. For those of you using kayaks in enviroments such as mine, what are you using?

For me, a sit on top is a must. I would really like to use a tandem kayak so i have the ability to bring a friend along. But how well does a tandem kayak handle when youre alone? If i was to buy another single, id probably get one around 12', but for a tandem.. id like something around the 12'-16' range....

Thoughts anyone? :duh

The OK Scuper Pro is pretty popular for a single and is what I use in similar but colder waters. I have an OK Zest Two that is seldom used because of its weight. It doesn't handle so well with one paddler but you can do it. I recommend getting a second one-man kayak so you can play bumper boats and have relative independence. I have had lots of good use out of the two-man diving with my older kids as they grew up, though and my younger ones still play on it every summer. We can take three or more of us on short trips with those two boats, so a two-man does have a niche.
Mark

I own a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 (14'). It's great. I'd recommend a Tarpon 120, 140 or 160.

Roan said:
I own a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 (14'). It's great. I'd recommend a Tarpon 120, 140 or 160.
being in south florida, i was lucky enough to drive 15 minutes from my home and see a great selection of these kayaks. I was impressed with the quality and design. :) the tarpon 140 seems a bit long for the roof of my 2 door honda accord, so I think the tarpon 120 it is ($619 US)

Ill keep the OK frenzy for a while for friends maybe :D

I have a OK frenzy as well and I use it in simular places.It's not the best for strong currents or long trips but it's pretty good for what it was desighn for.One reason it tracks poorly is because of it's width.Since I use mine only for spearing /diving I would rather have the stability that comes with that vs the better tracking and easier paddling of a narrower boat. I looked at the scupper pro and another yak made by OK and I would choose one of them if I bought a new boat.I have not really looked to hard here but there is not to many choices .I think cobra and OK are the only yaks I can actually go to a store and look at/sit in.I think you have to pick by what you plan to do with it mostly and buy one that will do what you want.By the way I paddled the frenzy out 2 miles offshore and about ten miles inshore . My arms hurt just thinking about it. wish I had that kind of freetime now :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT