• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kayaks!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pinniped72

May 18, 2013
Out of interest, does anyone here freedive from their kayak, if you do, do you use the anchor line as a line for free immersion or any other discipline, I realise that the anchor line wouldn't be vertical but for apnea and equalisation practice it might be just the ticket. I know that spearfishing from kayaks is popular but was just wondering about peoples thoughts on freediving from them? And yes, I realise freediving is effectively spearfishing without the spear ( sort of!), but my main interest is using the anchor line as the diving line...... what do you think? Thanks in advance for any experiences shared (y)

It might work but as a general rule you would use three time the anchor rope times the depth.
So you would be diving a sort of quarter curve to the bottom.

Many thanks for the reply Foxfish, I realise it would not be vertical, in fact during spring tides near me I would have to be very careful not to loose contact with the Kayak if I weren't wearing fins, as at times in certain areas swimming against the tide may not be possible, although obviously I wouldn't be doing such things in such conditions, I don't fancy being sucked under a container ship or cruise liner! :eek: ......................... well not yet anyway, life's not that bad! :D

The tip for an anchor line that is 3x water depth is good, unless you suspect high wind or speedy current... then 4x or even 5x is safe practice.

Also, very important, your anchor should be attached first to a couple of meters of heavy chain... the chain keeps the head/shank of the anchor on the bottom even if current or wind are tugging the anchor line, and this keeps the anchor from pulling free. It is a long explanation if you are not familiar with anchoring boats, but look up "anchoring" and "anchor scope" at a couple of boating/sailing forums... a kayak is a boat subject to all the same forces and rules, you will get a good education there.

A final thought... there are a couple of styles of small kayak-appropriate anchors available... some are designed more for rocky bottoms, some are designed more for sand... make sure you get an appropriate anchor design for where you intend to dive.

Reactions: Pinniped72
What is possible with a kayak is vertical freediving in deep water. An anchor line that doesn't reach the bottom will be vertical, assuming the currents are reasonably consistent in direction and speed with depth.

While this would allow CW, CNF, and free immersion training, it poses one very large problem. For freediving to depth, you really need a dive buddy who will stay at the surface while you are diving, and who is properly trained.

Reactions: Pinniped72
Thanks for the advice all, I am happy with my anchor set up, it has a 1.5Kg folding anchor, 2 mteres of chain and a lot of nylon rope, just as you explained billder99 (y) hteas, you make excellent points, the weight not touching bottom would be vertical and I always dive alone. I recently bought a boat and will be diving from that as well, there will be others on the boat but realistically they will only be able to offer assistance from the boat or at a push, the surface. Lots to think about :) thanks again.

Water deeper than your anchor line works well on calm days. Just beware the "fatigue demon..." I had one day where I enjoyed myself so much for so long in the water that I could not haul my person back on top of the kayak afterwards!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT