• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kayaks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manc Chris

Jun 22, 2015
What kayaks or sit ins are you guys using to get to spots to spear? Or is it worth just getting a board and just finning out to a mark?

Hi, Chris I use a short fibre glass Kayak/Canoe to get to my fishing grounds as i found it faster and i keep dry so less energy spent in the cold water here far up in the north of the UK. I use the Kayak to store the fish in that i spear so the birds don't steal them whilst i am under the water. The shorter Kayak is also more manoeuvrable than my friends standard sea Kayak and has a flat bottom so less chance of capsize and its easier to store away.

Last edited:
What's the make and model will check it out am in Manchester so I dive Anglesey and going upto Scotland next spring fingers crossed around Dunbar.

Reactions: Brochman
Some of the better yaks I've had for diving off include an Ocean Kayak Elite 4.3 - stable and fairly quick. Prowler 13 - stable with good amount of room but fairly slow due to being relatively short. kaskazi Dorado - fairly stable , sea kayak type hull ,good storage but slightly less durable due to fibreglass hull. RTM Tempo - quick and very Sea worthy but quite compact and less weight capacity.
I'm currently using a Viking Profish Reload which I find is a great boat for spearing off. It's nice having a detachable pod for the fish finder etc. it's only downside is it's quite heavy but once off the car and in the water it's fine.
A good board like a Beuchat Guardian is also a great way of covering more ground but not as much as you can on a good yak. It's faster and less hassle to get set up and get going too . It really depends on where you're intending spearing I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use a Wilderness Systems Ride. It's 13'6" and is not the fastest thing in the water, but it's a very stable dive platform.

What kayaks or sit ins are you guys using to get to spots to spear? Or is it worth just getting a board and just finning out to a mark?

Hey Chris... I live way down in Baja Sur, Mexico... fantastic spear fishing here, but most decent underwater structure I can drive a car/truck to are 1-4 miles from shore... swimming is not really an option, kayak is the perfect solution. I have a Cobra Tourer... it is 15'-0" long and 28" wide, nice speed but also sufficiently stable... I think this is a very good set of specs to start with for a diving kayak when you have to cross open water... efficiency and speed are very important if you have to go any distance at all.

I have a Wilderness Tarpon and thoroughly recommend it, don't forget paddle choice, after all its the thing transferring your power and technique into motion. A general purpose paddle will do but a paddle suited to you and your requirements may make life easier (y)

I have a Wilderness Tarpon and thoroughly recommend it, don't forget paddle choice, after all its the thing transferring your power and technique into motion. A general purpose paddle will do but a paddle suited to you and your requirements may make life easier (y)

Hey Pinniped, a question for you: Kayak paddles are generally divided into 2 types... High Angle (performance) and Low Angle (recreation)... do I have this right or are there more colors and flavors? What type do you feel is appropriate for a guy who will paddle between 2-6 miles each way across open water to get to good dive spots? (Sea of Cortez)

High and low angle kind of sums it up, you get touring, recreational and white water paddles. The paddle shape can be different as can the surface area, white water paddles tend to have a larger surface area as you need to put the power down quickly to get out of trouble but long distance will fatigue your muscles while at the other end, touring paddles tend to have a slightly smaller surface area to make long distance travel less painful :D then you have the material choice, the paddle can be plastic, glass fibre reinforced or carbon, whilst the shafts can be metal, glass fibre or carbon. I have used normal recreational paddles to travel to the isle of wight and back, about 5 to 7 miles, depending how much the currents take me, sometimes in strong tides and have been ok, the palm range of recreational paddles offer good value for money(y) I have an old school white water paddle that I use in an old school spud but I wouldn't want to paddle a sit on top long distance with it. The other side with paddles is that at the end of the day its the paddler moving the paddle, I would concentrate on paddling technique, research it, google it, keeping in shape makes a massive difference, its all very well paddling on a mill pond but if things change being able to put the power down for extended periods really helps. An excellent kayaker will out perform me no matter what paddle I have, but having said that its still important to have the right paddle for the job. For most sit on top kayakers I would go for a one piece recreational paddle, medium sized blade, with whatever shaft you can afford, alluminum is the cheapest and carbon the most expensive. Remember that you will be moving the paddle thousands of times so ideally the lighter the better and remember to get the right length paddle for your height(y) Hope that helps and carry on paddling :D

High and low angle kind of sums it up, you get touring, recreational and white water paddles. The paddle shape can be different as can the surface area, white water paddles tend to have a larger surface area as you need to put the power down quickly to get out of trouble but long distance will fatigue your muscles while at the other end, touring paddles tend to have a slightly smaller surface area to make long distance travel less painful :D then you have the material choice, the paddle can be plastic, glass fibre reinforced or carbon, whilst the shafts can be metal, glass fibre or carbon. I have used normal recreational paddles to travel to the isle of wight and back, about 5 to 7 miles, depending how much the currents take me, sometimes in strong tides and have been ok, the palm range of recreational paddles offer good value for money(y) I have an old school white water paddle that I use in an old school spud but I wouldn't want to paddle a sit on top long distance with it. The other side with paddles is that at the end of the day its the paddler moving the paddle, I would concentrate on paddling technique, research it, google it, keeping in shape makes a massive difference, its all very well paddling on a mill pond but if things change being able to put the power down for extended periods really helps. An excellent kayaker will out perform me no matter what paddle I have, but having said that its still important to have the right paddle for the job. For most sit on top kayakers I would go for a one piece recreational paddle, medium sized blade, with whatever shaft you can afford, alluminum is the cheapest and carbon the most expensive. Remember that you will be moving the paddle thousands of times so ideally the lighter the better and remember to get the right length paddle for your height(y) Hope that helps and carry on paddling :D

A good short course on paddles! I have been reading paddle mgr websites, so I had to gist of it... very nice to have confirmation from a diver/paddler (rather than a seller). Looking at a number of sizing guides I am looking for 230cm paddles for both my wife and I. As you recommend, I will go for a recreational style blade, eccentric shape, one piece with no feather... hoping to find used paddles in San Diego that are all carbon fiber for around $100, weight around 1.7#... or all fiberglass at around 2.2#.

Thanks very much for your input.

Reactions: Pinniped72
What's the make and model will check it out am in Manchester so I dive Anglesey and going upto Scotland next spring fingers crossed around Dunbar.
Sorry for the late reply Chris i have been very busy moving the contents of two houses but to your question of which model of Kayak i own the answer is I have no idea as it was a fibreglass Kayak i bought on the cheap for £30 and does not have a name to it.
As Pinniped said fibreglass kayaks can be less durable but on the up side they are easier to repair and lighter in weight so you are paddling less weight. Every time i see someone paddling a Kayak straight on to stoney beach line it makes me think back to when i was a kid and being told off for doing so as it will affect the under side of your Kayak wether it be made of fibreglass or polyethylene as the smoother the hull the better as the Kayak or any boat will glide through the water so less effort,fibreglass can be made very smooth just because it is a finer grain material and on top of that you can paint it with gelcoat which makes it super smooth.
Every one to there own i guess but i find the fibreglass kayak works best for me for the reasons above and i have tried both materials.
A word of advice which applies to what ever type of Kayak you get is buy a spare paddle as if your paddle breaks out in open water you are well and truely stuck. A safety leash or line from the paddle which is then either attached to yourself or to the kayak is another good idea so you don't loose your paddle.

I run a kind of weird setup. I always had the problem of space on the kayak. So I got an old surf ski which in Australia you can get for $30 and then got some out riggers for it. It all folds down and is super easy to store on the roof of a car. It has a net between the outriggers so its practically a trimaran. With an esky on the back and plenty of room for gear you fish all day. It works very well, is very fast. It's big enough you can take a dive buddy out with you.

I run a kind of weird setup. I always had the problem of space on the kayak. So I got an old surf ski which in Australia you can get for $30 and then got some out riggers for it. It all folds down and is super easy to store on the roof of a car. It has a net between the outriggers so its practically a trimaran. With an esky on the back and plenty of room for gear you fish all day. It works very well, is very fast. It's big enough you can take a dive buddy out with you.
Hey Roski, I would love to see a picture of your setup. I use a Tarpon 160 and I'm trying to upgrade to a faster kayak.

Here in northern California I use a dive board/kayak hybrid called a Molder. Its all fiberglass, 14' and glides nicely. It has 3 chambers in case it takes on water (which its pretty good at not doing) and a large storage hatch. Very simple, stream lined and super light (15kg). you lay on your belly and paddle like a surf board, so it does nicely in wind due to your low profile.

Downsides: you must be careful with fiberglass kayaks, its not durable. It is also meant to be paddled like a surf board, so youll definitely build your shoulder muscles using this type of yak. Its not very stable in big swell or surf. The tracking is mediocre and theres no way to mount a fish finder.

I also have a Prowler 13, Angler edition. Very stable, tracks well and is super comfortable. tons of storage and features; transducer port, tank well, nav/fish finder mount ect. I use it less frequently than the Molder because it weighs a ton.

Attachments

• _MG_3079v2_zps7c891dd7.jpg
    _MG_3079v2_zps7c891dd7.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 244
Hello guys,

I am a new member here. I live in Brasilia, capital of Brazil, South America.
I will be at La Sierra University in Riverside-CA, from December to December 2018, to learn English in intensive course (ESL program).
I've been a spearfisher since 2004, diving in salt (Atlantic Ocean, Caribean sea, Mediterrean sea and Pacific Ocean) and fresh water (rivers and lakes in Brazil).
If possible I would like to do a lot of sessions of spearfishing in California at that time.
Looking for information, I found this forum on Google search.
I want to meetnew friends in California to do underwater hunting.
I would like information and tips on spearfishing in California.
My deep limit is about 75 feet (free diving).

Thanks,

Hello guys,

I am a new member here. I live in Brasilia, capital of Brazil, South America.
I will be at La Sierra University in Riverside-CA, from December to December 2018, to learn English in intensive course (ESL program).
I've been a spearfisher since 2004, diving in salt (Atlantic Ocean, Caribean sea, Mediterrean sea and Pacific Ocean) and fresh water (rivers and lakes in Brazil).
If possible I would like to do a lot of sessions of spearfishing in California at that time.
Looking for information, I found this forum on Google search.
I want to meetnew friends in California to do underwater hunting.
I would like information and tips on spearfishing in California.
My deep limit is about 75 feet (free diving).

Thanks,
I suggest this forum wich is more frequented by California spearos : http://spearingforum.com/index.php

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT