• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Keeping a dive torch on your belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
I’ve got a dive torch I keep on my float, but the issue is a lot of the time when I find myself wanting to use it by the time I swim back up to my float, have drifted a bit and the visibility isn’t brilliant I’ll struggle to find whatever it was I had discovered in the first place.

I think I’d like to attach it to my belt somehow so I’ve always got it to hand. The torch didn’t come with any sort of belt mount do it would need to be some sort of DIY - anyone done this before or have any ideas how this can be achieved?

Reactions: Mr. X
I don't normally dive with a torch, but for your situation I'm thinking to keep it strapped to your arm or someplace that's accessible quickly. One of my partners just loops the lanyard over his arm when descending. You'll want to have it very accessible as to not lose time getting it out and on.

Or, another thought is you can try to dive down with a buoy anchor and if you find a spot you'll want to explore with the torch, drop the anchor there and re-find it with your torch.

Reactions: Mr. X
Good question.

the solution is to fit a piece of bungie cord to the torch and keep it always on your wrist, it works great and if your hand/torch get stuck anywhere, you just pull hard and the bungie let’s go. For this setup I favor small, powerful LED torches.

in the past I have also wrapped with tape a flat piece of aluminum to the torch, so you can tap it agains the rocks as a “fish caller” of sorts.

I rarely use my torch but when I do, I attach it to my left wrist and hold it in my left hand. I'm right handed. I can let it dangle from my wrist when I need to use my left hand.

I've seen other spearos slide the torch lanyard* up their arm, out of the way when not in use. Never tried it.

* Many Chinese dive torches come with very weak lanyards that break easily. Check yours and replace it if necessary, as I did ;)

Another option I've seen a couple of times is a special glove or hand strap which allows you to carry and use the torch on the back of your hand. I think the big diving websites carry them, possibly eBay too.

Re. Belt, my belt is already pretty full. The more items of value you put on it, the more reluctant you might be to release it in a dangerous situation.

It might be worth making a belt clip. Perhaps something like the big pocket clips that you sometimes see on lock knives. Or perhaps you could do something with powerful magnets glued to the torch? Or an elastic lanyard? Or make a torch sheath? Perhaps a wide piece of elastic looped around your belt that you can slide your torch in and out of? Lots of possibilities.

Head torches are handy but probably difficult to find a diveproof headtorch and then use it with a mask. But perhaps some of the GoPro camera accessories could be used for a torch? I have a little pen torch that I can attach to my mask strap but rarely use it - worried that metal clip could cut my soft silicone mask strap and a hassle to attach and detach.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT