• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Keeping knifes on your belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I tried putting my knife on my belt, but it really didn't work for me. Much prefer to have it on the inside of my leg - that way it doesn't get tangled and I can access it with either hand. But however works for you, I guess. Good tip on the silicone belt - never tried one.

If you ever need your knife to untangle yourself in the deep, you're dead. Period.

I have sewn a pouch into the inside calf of all 5 of my wetsuits. it has the following advantages. 1. less inclined to tangle in floatline. 2 no straps to break and leave the knife dangling 3. less drag 4. knife straps don't loosen when your wetsuit compresses at depth. 5. no leg cramps when tight straps cut circulation.
The knife fits snugly in the pouch and a loose velcro strap holds the sheath in.

Attachments

• 20210728_065148.jpg
    20210728_065148.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 312
I usually carry 2 knives. 1 strapped on my calf, usually not used except when cutting some lines. the other is on my left upper arm, smaller stiletto type used to brain speared fish. Much easier to grab the knife in the upper arm than in the leg.

Reactions: CCspearo
I always carry 2 knives. 1 strapped on my calf, general purpose, the other on my forearm for quick access, used to kill fish that I speared.
Last year, there was a free-diver in our country that perished as he was dragged by a 5 kg grouper he speared and his foot got entangled in the shooting line inside the fish cave. you never knew when you need a knife in a situation

This is what I was saying about tiring it on. It's worked well for me for 10 + years. I can find it without looking. I can take it out with 1 hand. And I can't feel it's there.
IMG_20220223_080037735~2.jpg

I used to have the same problem so to get around this I took four weights off the rubber belt and as I threaded them back on I placed the knife on top of one of the weights that I thought would be the correct one to line up with my arm so the belt threads up through one side of the weights through the slot for holding the knife sheath and down through the same weight. This way the knife is not close into the waist and can be easily accessed and drawn. I also have a second knife as a back up knife on my left arm just incase I might need to dump my weight belt.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT