• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WetFish

Jul 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

Pretty new around here but just wanted to see if there was anyone on here who either spearfishes Kent regularly or has been spearfishing in Kent and can advise? Is it worth going around here? If so then where is best? Are there any groups that go together? Is there anyone who would be willing to take 2 or 3 novices under his/ her wing for a session or two?

We have heard through the grapevine that Sandgate near Folkestone is quite good but any info/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We tried around Whitstable and it seemed like a bit of a waste of time to be honest.

Interested to hear from whomever with any contributions.

WetFish

Hi Wetfish, welcome to the forum, I am terrible with my English geography but I think there is a London Spearfishing club that organises dives around the Kent coast. I have a feeling the water visibility is not the best though.

Hi @foxfish I attempted to reach out to the London Spearfishing Club:

'kevd333@yahoo.com'

"Good Morning Kev,

I found your details on: https://www.spearfishing.co.uk/spearo-hub/spearfishing-clubs/

Following a conversation on DeeperBlue Forums I was recommended to seek it out.

My understanding is that your club often does trips in the Kent area? Is this the case and if so how regular are these and would it be possible for a couple of his newbies to tag along?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,"

Sent that a while ago and have got nothing back... not looking too hopeful. I don't suppose you or anyone else has any further contact information for them or alternative Kent suggestions?

Thanks for the tip off regardless.

WetFish

Hi Guys,

Pretty new around here but just wanted to see if there was anyone on here who either spearfishes Kent regularly or has been spearfishing in Kent and can advise? Is it worth going around here? If so then where is best? Are there any groups that go together? Is there anyone who would be willing to take 2 or 3 novices under his/ her wing for a session or two?

We have heard through the grapevine that Sandgate near Folkestone is quite good but any info/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We tried around Whitstable and it seemed like a bit of a waste of time to be honest.

Interested to hear from whomever with any contributions.

WetFish
Yes, probably best to rule out Whitstable. My home port is Gravesend and I have sailed most areas of the estuary and it is poor visibility throughout, also where you are there will be a fairly quick current ebbing and flowing into the Swale. You have much better visibility as you round Margate.

Yes, probably best to rule out Whitstable. My home port is Gravesend and I have sailed most areas of the estuary and it is poor visibility throughout, also where you are there will be a fairly quick current ebbing and flowing into the Swale. You have much better visibility as you round Margate.

Cheers man @Lee Ottery will definitley go check it out. I am away this weekend with something else but both weekends following that is my first freediving sessions with instructors. Hopefully that means by late September / October I can start doing a bit more exploring with the boys.

You get out much Spearing round Kent? Any luck?

WetFish

Cheers man @Lee Ottery will definitley go check it out. I am away this weekend with something else but both weekends following that is my first freediving sessions with instructors. Hopefully that means by late September / October I can start doing a bit more exploring with the boys.

You get out much Spearing round Kent? Any luck?

WetFish
No I am a newbie like yourself. I am currently docked in Le Harve and due to to head towards the Channel Islands towards the end of the week. I am looking for dive buddies and crew to join me. There are some awesome spots this side of the channel.

Will you have a wet fish T shirt? I will keep a eye out for you as the coarse goes past my front door.

I replied to WetFish. Unfortunately I have not speared Kent, yet. There is(/was) an active spearing club in Sussex and the London International club was already mentioned. Both are part of the BSA (British Spearfishing Association) and you might try contacting them.
I think there are also several active forum members in and around Brighton.

By the way, are you a "Kentish man" or a "Man of Kent"? :)
http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/man-of-kent-or-kentish-man-which-are-you-1-2334928

I replied to WetFish. Unfortunately I have not speared Kent, yet. There is(/was) an active spearing club in Sussex and the London International club was already mentioned. Both are part of the BSA (British Spearfishing Association) and you might try contacting them.
I think there are also several active forum members in and around Brighton.

By the way, are you a "Kentish man" or a "Man of Kent"? :)
http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/man-of-kent-or-kentish-man-which-are-you-1-2334928

Hi @Mr. X I am a man of Kent (although neither atm as I am currently living in London), cheers for coming back to me on here and on your page. Really appreciated. I will scope out all the places/ people/ ideas you mentioned and report back.

Was over in Sussex for my course today and have to say felt like it was a good start. Got the exams and buddy rescue techniques etc next weekend and then it is done :) The guys seemed to rate it as well.

@foxfish Thanks for asking man, weekend went great. What a beautiful place Guernsey is! Marathon was of course hardcore but good, ran the time I wanted and most importantly completed my first ever marathon without walking so really can't complain. Wish I had more time there tbh but hey that's how it goes. Can really see how it would be good for Spearos, maybe one day I will pop back :)

Reactions: foxfish
Hi All, I'll be testing new kit out in Kent this coming weekend and will see what the conditions are like with Vi's and fish. With shore dives I presume it's better to always go high tide as the water is covering the rocks and the fish come in to eat?

Re. tides, I fish at all states of the tide and don't worry about it too much. That said, I generally prefer a rising tide, especially if I am in or at to he edge of a bay. Some folks, in some areas, ride the tide out and back in again but I've not tried it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT