• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

kill, kill, kill...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bolo

Jun 23, 2007
i am depress soo many peoples kill other creatures. freediving is like angel flight! i cant imagine angels can be killers. why do you kill other ? please try some time to see . only see . dont get breath others .

dont get other life.

Attachments

• angel_of_death_by_j_u_d_a_sd30biy2.jpg
    angel_of_death_by_j_u_d_a_sd30biy2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: SubSub and Erik
A fair question deserves an answer. I think live is precious, all life, not just human life but all life, I personally only eat what I kill myself so for me that means eating only fish, if I cant kill it, I shouldn't eat it, that is my belief. If I look honestly at my reasons for spearfishing it breaks down into loving being in the water with the freedom that brings, living in the moment, the primal state in which we find contentment, not worrying about the past or the future and when and if I spear a fish, a meal for which I am exceptionally grateful for. Bobbing around on the surface and watching the sun reflect off the waves can be, and I find it to be a spiritual experience, peace descends and worries are washed away, quite literally. It has always been my habit to apologise to the fish that I have killed but I refuse to apologise to anyone else for my spearfishing, I probably take life and death more seriously than my would be accusers.

i am depress soo many peoples kill other creatures. freediving is like angel flight! i cant imagine angels can be killers. why do you kill other ? please try some time to see . only see . dont get breath others .

dont get other life.

Who kills your food for you? How did they live? How did they die? How were they treated? Do you have any idea?
And yes, plants are alive before someone kills and eats them.
Do you have a cat or a dog? What does it eat? Where did the food come from? Who kills the food for your pets? How was the food treated when it was alive? Etc etc.

Watch the Lion King if you can't wrap your head around your hypocrisy.

I am very sensitive about killing too, but the fact is that I eat things or I'll die. I like to be somewhat responsible for that.

dont get other life.
How very unhuman of you Bolo. Humans have been eating what they catch since prehistoric times. My motto is "if you don't eat it don't kill it." Spearfishing is the most green form of fishing. There is no by catch as there is with netting and line fishing. Spearos usually only take fish larger than min legal size as they can choose what they are taking. Spearfishing is healthy enjoyable sport with the bonus of putting food on the table.

Reactions: Erik and Pinniped72
Bolo, I think you misunderstand what drives most of us. Most people eat meat, fish, eggs - and milk (ever wonder what happened to all the male calves?). We are not mad killers, largely we hunt calmly & responsibly for a few fish for consumption by ourselves & (if there is enough!) our families. Personally I would rather hunt fish a few times a year, when weather & waves permit, than buy yet another can of fish scooped up by a huge factory ship. I do not relish the killing but neither do I shy away from the reality of eating meat. If you eat meat, you should, I think, be prepared to kill, clean & butcher it - to not do so is to live outside of reality, to not experience life as it is. I prefer to clean & cook the fish I catch myself -- I don't know why but I just feel that I should, to honour & respect the fish I suppose. Similarly I return the offal to the sea.

Of course you don't have to eat meat. I know a family who are entirely vegan (no meat -inc. fish/poultry/shellfish, no dairy, no eggs, no fish)-- it helped solve a chronic health problem for the wife and the husband joined in to support her; when they had children they brought them up the same (even more difficult & potentially dangerous). They enjoy it but I think most people would not stick it long at all. I tried vegetarianism for several months - it was fine for me but, I was living in the USA at the time, other people seemed to find it problematic. But I now think eating meat, especially fish & eggs, is probably what humans have evolved on and are adapted for.

Bear in mind too, that like most hunters, spearos care passionately about the enviroment they hunt in and will do what they can to preserve it and allow it to flourish. Unlike the brand spanking new mackerel ships that scoop up 500 tonnes of mackerel the first time they put their net in the water.

Last edited:
Hey Bolo, great question, I received todey an even worse on Facebook. In my opinion fishing is part of the daily cultural life. Spearfishing
is little bit like going to a concert where you belive that you are not welcome. Understand? So there are many fisherman who started
with nets and hooks and parallerly they were snokerling. If they were very lucky they had some other spearos in their vicinity who were
a good example. Some hav already died some are still well up. But the point is that the tralling net is the auwul means of fishing. Evry thing from
zero to 100 is going into the net and some make paelia of it with rice ofcourse. The selective sperfishing needs no explanation in the world of letters and words. It´s the same with growthfactors, tumormarkers and immunology. The more sun you get the merrier.

Best wishes, Pero Curcic

Reactions: CCspearo
I have been the last thing many fish have seen before they swam toward the light. The carnage I have inflicted was the easiest to swallow when I shot them with a speargun from a shore dive right in front of my house. No petrol was consumed, no oil, no nylon line left behind, no hooks, no nets, no bycatch, no wounded sea life, no air pollution, no noise pollution..........Just me, rough seas, limited viz, big sharks and my prey. I eat fish, which I kill and clean, with my own hands, while I am fair game to an armada of sharks. It gives me lead in my pencil...inspiration to live another day.. nutrition to live another day...stories to tell. I will not apologize to a society of hypocrites.

BTW, bycatch is tossed overboard (generally) as it it not normally licensed catch. The commercial fishery is the definition of waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kodama and japppo
Dolphins are a superior species to humans. Bigger brains. Spend their time fishing, playing, socializing, reproducing and raising their young. Eat an all seafood diet. You'd have to be independently wealthy to pull that off as a human :D

For many years I have combined a love of spearfishing along with a love of line fishing, boating, scuba and anything else that would have me in or near the ocean. In recent years the linefishing side of things has slowly faded away to a point where the only linefishing I do is to tow a woghead behind when moving from one spearfishing spot to the next . For me it is not only about the fish speared but the wonderful protein all humans need to survive , yes I know you can get it from elsewhere but the feeling of selectively choosing your dinner whilst gazing upon the myriad of life beneath the waves is truly a feeling that could not possibly be replaced . Spearos are about the most conservation minded people there are out there. To not be a part of the raping and pillaging of the oceans by huge multinational companies is a pleasant thought in itself . Bolo ever eaten a fish finger before , oysters maybe or a serve of fish and chips from the local store , never mind all those conscientious diet driven people snacking on their little tins of tuna with all manner of different flavours , let he who is without sin cast the first stone . You may be a vegetarian or vegan , this is your choice ! But consider for a moment how much land has been cleared to feed you an appropriate amount of food at the expense of the wild creatures whose habitat has been destroyed to grow the fields from which your vegetables grow . Not having a go , but you should think your facts through before casting aspersions on those that catch their own food in a sustainable fashion , this isn't a fairy tale land we live in .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT