• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

King Mackeral (Canad) stoning detail photo

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

anton

May 28, 2004
All,
Thought I would provide a photo since, as I was cutting up some King Mackeral (Canad) steaks I got a good cross section view. This is <almost> but not quite the desired shot (a bit low).

I was apx 7 (yes, 7) meters away, below and to the side (15 meters depth) in aspetto watching a school of mid-size trevally and hoping they would turn and give me a shot when I saw a pair of King Mackeral come cruising in right in my line of fire, midway in the water column. For reasons I will NOT go into :duh , I had only one band loaded on my Totemsub Tahiti... hmm. I had a GOOD shot so I took it and my line played out and bit in to my reel just a little.

The fish literally stopped and floated down away from its partner, perfectly balanced by a 7mm shaft lodged dead center :p As you can see, the shaft entered lower right and exited upper left glancing off the lower spine. The downward tear was me trying to retrieve my shaft in a hurry to hit the grouper that was trying to steal the trevally I had on a stringer on the bottom. I missed :waterwork

I must say, I was proud of this shot. I was FREEZING since the water temp was 15-16, and I had to pee bad! (keeping in mind our normal year round water temp is 26-32 here in Qatar !!!!!! and 1 band... I was sure it would only penetrate halfway at best and I would have to take it real easy to bring in or it would tear off.

Attachments

• kingmackhit-2-1.jpg
    kingmackhit-2-1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 200
well done anton ... Excellent shot !!!!

you are lucky to be in the water, been following the weather forcast over the past week ,,, its been BAD!!!! Musandam and Oman have been witnessing some really BAD weather ....

as for the water temp ... thats damn cold for this region....

it snowed in the UAE 2 days ago !!!!!

Happy New Year 2005 to you all ... may it be filled with excellent spearfishing !!!

Nesim

Nice Canad! I miss hunting those buggers, so fast. I found flashers to be their weakpoint, they love anything shiny. winter is by far the best time to hunt them..

Remember to Always wear gloves when you're hunting them - they have a bad habit of snapping at their capture!

597Canad_11kgs_Dec02_Mouth-med.jpg

haha..thats a great picture. Since im always filleting my fish i never get to see pics like that!! nice! So what kind of environment were you in? Open area? Reefs? lol...guess im tryin to get my hopes up that ill actually see one of thse sometime here!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT