• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Knot to Tie Reel Line to Shooting Line

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiveHacker

Jun 17, 2020
Anyone know how this reel line is tied to the shooting line in these photos?

Or alternatively, how have you recommend tying it?

Here is the source video the pics came from:

Attachments

• BF0F6904-A876-477E-9A5B-CAC6E960483B.jpeg
    BF0F6904-A876-477E-9A5B-CAC6E960483B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 448
  • E7C3E020-BB96-4790-887F-4D53E31F1CCA.jpeg
    E7C3E020-BB96-4790-887F-4D53E31F1CCA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 383
  • E888F44D-09CF-44B4-8571-AF95ECF30BFE.jpeg
    E888F44D-09CF-44B4-8571-AF95ECF30BFE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 372
  • DD74D89B-12DB-4F5A-8B1B-84827BD34320.jpeg
    DD74D89B-12DB-4F5A-8B1B-84827BD34320.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 365
I would use the same knot I use to tie my muzzle bungee to my spearline. In the past, that used to a single or double sheet bend. Single sheet bends are good but I find it hard to trust them. My new Apnea spearguns have their wishbones tied into loops in the rubbers using single sheet bends and they work fine.

I switched recently to a knot demonstrated by Rob Allen in one of his reel rigging YouTube videos. It is simple and can be released quickly in the water if necessary. Basically through the spearline loop (or swivel) back around itself twice then loop the end into the main loop and tighten.

I would use the same knot I use to tie my muzzle bungee to my spearline. In the past, that used to a single or double sheet bend. Single sheet bends are good but I find it hard to trust them. My new Apnea spearguns have their wishbones tied into loops in the rubbers using single sheet bends and they work fine.

I switched recently to a knot demonstrated by Rob Allen in one of his reel rigging YouTube videos. It is simple and can be released quickly in the water if necessary. Basically through the spearline loop (or swivel) back around itself twice then loop the end into the main loop and tighten.

Exactly what I was gonna answer. That Rob Allen knot is simple, strong and easy to detach and redo while in the water if needed.
In any case if it is good for RA, is good enough for me.

Here is the link to the vid.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks. I currently am using that knot Rob Allen recommends, as I have a crimped loop at that end of my shooting line.

If you do not have a crimp, as you see in the Greek guy's photos, he ties his mono shooting line to his reel line, and there is no crimp involved.

I was wondering what knot that might be, in his mono line. It is probably a simple knot I just do not know many knots.

Thanks. I currently am using that knot Rob Allen recommends, as I have a crimped loop at that end of my shooting line.

If you do not have a crimp, as you see in the Greek guy's photos, he ties his mono shooting line to his reel line, and there is no crimp involved.

I was wondering what knot that might be, in his mono line. It is probably a simple knot I just do not know many knots.

Gotcha!
The mono looks like a surgeon’s loop. I use it to attach the leash to my surfboards, but never seen it used in spearfishing. I am staying with crimps :)

Reactions: DiveHacker
Gotcha!
The mono looks like a surgeon’s loop. I use it to attach the leash to my surfboards, but never seen it used in spearfishing. I am staying with crimps :)
Will check it out, thanks. Reason for this thread is i do not always want to lug crimps around, or i figure an emergency it could come in handy too.

Try an Albright knot.
I have had 500lb ultra hard mono joined to 900lb hollow core dyneema survive the fight of several large dogtooth tuna using this knot on that combination. It is a wee bit bulky but it’s a great knot for joining to mono.
E26AD84C-4262-4E52-9394-972C38EE8FE1.jpeg
E26AD84C-4262-4E52-9394-972C38EE8FE1.jpeg

Try an Albright knot.
I have had 500lb ultra hard mono joined to 900lb hollow core dyneema survive the fight of several large dogtooth tuna using this knot on that combination. It is a wee bit bulky but it’s a great knot for joining to mono.View attachment 56582View attachment 56582
Thanks. I will def check this one out too. It does look like a big knot but also seems to have a little torpedo shape to it.

I have three wraps of dyneema shooting line tied to my reel with the RobAllen knot.

How long did you make your dyneema line on your shaft before the mono line?
I put 2m of 900lb dyneema from the spear to the 500lb mono on my shooting line because some people kept saying it was better around coral etc than 500lb ultra hard mono, it wasn’t. The dyneema wasn’t better & is a tangle always waiting to happen.

Reactions: Mr. X
What size gun do you shoot? 2m is like 6.5 feet of line and that is tied to the mono so just curious but why not go all dyneema and what is going to keep the 2m of line from the reef? I was told that dyneema is better than mono on the reefs much more abrasive and won’t cut as easily.

What size gun do you shoot? 2m is like 6.5 feet of line and that is tied to the mono so just curious but why not go all dyneema and what is going to keep the 2m of line from the reef? I was told that dyneema is better than mono on the reefs much more abrasive and won’t cut as easily.

Typically on the guns I use for dogtooth tuna I am using four rubbers a 3/8 x 1.8m spear. The shooting line ( from breakaway to spear) is about 9m. When the spear is cut off by the fish, it is typically in the first meter behind the spear so more than two meters of a heavier “trace” is superfluous & also problematic.
Yes lots of people have said that dyneema is better than ultra hard mono. It isn’t, I found it made zero difference & it is just waiting to form a tangle & mess at any opportunity & was more trouble than it was worth.
A sample of the guns I currently have in circulation. I travel a lot ( or did until this year) & still compete so I enjoy a pretty good variety of spearfishing & also like to experiment with equipment.
ABAFA4DA-1DE9-4DFD-BD4D-D2E0AA865762.jpeg

Typically on the guns I use for dogtooth tuna I am using four rubbers a 3/8 x 1.8m spear. The shooting line ( from breakaway to spear) is about 9m. When the spear is cut off by the fish, it is typically in the first meter behind the spear so more than two meters of a heavier “trace” is superfluous & also problematic.
Yes lots of people have said that dyneema is better than ultra hard mono. It isn’t, I found it made zero difference & it is just waiting to form a tangle & mess at any opportunity & was more trouble than it was worth.
A sample of the guns I currently have in circulation. I travel a lot ( or did until this year) & still compete so I enjoy a pretty good variety of spearfishing & also like to experiment with equipment.View attachment 56586
Nice collection of guns. I just put two wraps of dyneema on my Pathos Sniper Roller 85cm so not a lot of dyneema I hope. I’ll find out when I try it out.

I use this knot. It has never failed me and it is easy to untie in the water in case you need to untangle your line.

Reactions: DiveHacker
I often use the Allbright knot when sea angling, to join soft Dyneema braid or thin mono to a thicker stiff mono or fluoro "leader" or shock leader.

I like the Rob Allen knot better for spearing though. It is quicker and simpler to tie but mainly because of the quick release feature. This makes it quicker and easier to maintain and reconfigure your spearguns. Also, if you have trouble pulling your spear back through a fish, you can release the line and push the spear and spearline forward through the fish. Steel clips on muzzle bungees or reel lines offer similar capability in theory but if weak they can unfurl and if strong they can be painfully difficult to open - hence the pig-tail clip. But the RA knot is cheaper, simpler, lighter and quieter. :cool:

Reactions: camposartu
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT