• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Koh Tao Dive training.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Scubabill

Feb 6, 2003
I plan on taking a trip to Thailand , island of Koh Tao.
I will be taking the advanced course up to IDC.
The time i plan to be there is from june 1 to Oct 1.
Im looking for suggestions on places to stay.
I have talked to Ban's dive resort so far and they offerd me a place at 125 a month US. But i would like to maybe upgrade to a place close by (motorbike) Ban's and still be in a private area (away from crowds to study, swim, fish, ect) Any ideas?
Im not on a real tight budget. I figure up to 300-400 USD a month is fine. If anyone has done a long term stay and IDC training there any info would be great! Also any info. on the intern programs some company's offer would be helpfull. Also what is the best compnay on the island for long term training. Thanks for the help!

Bill

Re:

From jason Thanks for all info!

Re: Thailnad questions

Hi ,

Hopefull the info below will help:-

Ban's! the largest dive operator on Koh Tao I think, biggest and best facilities, but I find that they can't provide the personal touch as a result.

Be aware that there are minimum dive levels for the varoius courses that most dive shops stick to. Plan to do upto DM with one place then Shop around for the IDC and IE.

I used LV Dive - for a number of reasons, they are smaller and are there fore mor personal, rarely conducting calsses of more than 6 at the OW and AOW levels and getting smaller, ususaly 1 or 2 at the MFA, Rescue and DM levels. They have a good boat which is simple and never overcrowded. They operate the boat from the Mae Hat port/village which is better/easier than from the Siree beach (DM skills). You will get a discount by doing the lot with/through them and accommodation will be cheaper.

Accomodation - I have stayed in the same area over the years for good reason -there is an outcrop of land between the village Mae Hat and the main Siree beach, if you take the old road/track from Mae Hat it is about 10 mins walk, up a steep but short hill then it sort of flattens out, walk for 5 mins more and on your right is LV Dive, opposite side of the track the owner of LV has his bar and accommodatin Called Tommy's, 50 yrds on you have the View Cliff accomodation, which is where I stay, walk 100 yards further and you go down a steep but short hill and are then on Siree beach which streaches for about a mile with restaurants, cafes, bars, accommodation and Dive shops all along it. I would highly recommend either Tommy's or View Cliff to stay at as they have a good range off accom, from the very cheep to the moderate ie, 300bht / night to 600bht / night. because you are staying longer you must barter for discount whatever level you settle on. I know that View Cliff have monthly rates of 6000bht and 12000bht respectfully, but you will be staying longer - negociate hard! You can also get some basic accom for as little as 3000bht per month elseware on the island but you will then HAVE to hire a motorbike about 3000bht / month - ask Clous and Gary at LV Dive for more info.

Visas - When you enter Thailand you will get a 60 day visa, but you must have an exit flight! get around this by buying a flight from Phukett to Penang and getting it refunded in Bangkok once you are in (an adimn fee is charged approx £10) this means that you will have an outbound ticket to show them and you are free to get either a one way ticket or a return that is for longer thatn the 60 days. Once there youwill need to get your visa renewed, 2 options - 1 - pay someone like Mr J (you'll find out) to take your passport and get it stamped -you dont have to leave the island, it costs around 1500bht and you must get copies of the relavant pages before you let you passport out of your sight (you should do this before you leave this country anyway option 2 - do a visa run yourself, quickest is a boat to Chumpon 300bht, bus to Ranong >100bht, stay over night in the Tanatwan Palacein Ranong and ask the owner 'Wiliwan' to tell you the cheapest way to cross the border to Myanmar for the day, back to Chumpon, overnight ready for the 7 am ferry to Koh Tao. Works out mutch the same in cost but you get to see some more of Thailand, Ranong is a great town almost no tourists and very cheap.

Not sure that you're expectaions to work will be met, it will depend on how busy the ilsand and therefore the dive shops are. A DM working in LV Dvie may earn 18 - 20,000 bht / month.

My recomendation - Dive with LV, Stay at View Clif, do the visa run yourself, and dive till you drop (I to am pushing the big 40)

Enjoy and let me know if I can help with anything else, I'm off to Bangkok in March and desperatly trying to make time to get to the turtle.

Jason

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT