• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kona diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mattedhead

Drying up inland...
Aug 28, 2002
I have a good friend coming to the Kona coast at the end of the week and he is looking to get a few dives in...Any suggestions from the hawaiian tribe members? Shore dives and/or any charter companies in the area that might be able to get him out there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year-
Matt

Matt,
I live on Oahu but I was just in Kona, actually Waikaloa area. We just dove behind the hotel. It was a little rough and had to swim through some minor surf, but there was lots of fish. We stayed in the <40 ft. as my partner is new to spearfishing. I would assume your friend could get in some nice shore dives. He should find a partner though. Maybe some of the Kona members here could take him out on a dive. He should also learn which fish are the better eating fishes as it would be a waste to shoot what he won't eat. Keep an eye on the tides, this week is full moon and there are steep tides and sometimes stong currents. Generally speaking, the smaller tides, or slack times, have less current. Tell your friend to call or stop by Blue Water Hunter in Kona, and maybe they can give your friends some tips on where to dive.

Thanks a lot! I doubt he will be shooting fish, more or less just checking it all out. He is fairly new to the sport, I took him out a bit towards the end of the '03 season and he really enjoyed it. He'll probably freedive a few days and do one Scuba charter. Thanks again for the info--

Matt

Kona Dives

Mattedhead,

Have him give me a call 808.895.0403 I live right in Kona and I know plenty of spots and if I'm feel I'd be glad to show him.

DSV

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT