• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kronos "fusion roller" speargun design

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

QBlackreefco

May 3, 2022
Figured it would be worth sharing some rendering pics of my recent R&D for my new sustainable bamboo product lineup. The Kronos bamboo speargun is a fusion roller design (fusion what??). Essentially, the bands would invert around the top of the gun, then transfer to dyneema tied "in-line" with the band on the belly of the speargun. I anticipate on having a belly kicker band tied on also. In essence, it will be an inverted roller speargun but without the pulleys. Which will increase power and simplicity of rigging.

The inversion of the rubber would eliminate all recoil. And the Kronos would shoot very snappy and flat since dyneema would be running around the pulleys at the front. I noticed in my research and testing that standard rollers have huge amounts of parasitic power loss from rotational inertia when the bands whip around the pulleys. Which is not ideal to say the least.

I added modular ballast plates to the front and the back of the speargun to adjust the center of gravity, and so the scuba bois can add some more lead to make the gun sink with or without the shaft. The mech is my "american style" roller mech that accepts both euro and american spec shafts. I tested it to 2000 lbs; it is stout.

I am currently running an 8mm two piece titanium slip tip shaft which has been nice. It weighs and performs like a 7mm shaft, so it shoots ridiculously fast on the rollers. I also added a "break line" in the front section of the two piece shaft, so if it does bend it will consistently only bend at the front section. Im fond of the idea of only needing to replace the front section of the shaft similar to how my polespears only need injectors swapped upon bending. My only concern is I have tested it only out to about 15 feet and I anticipate on the Kronos being a 20-25 foot capable speargun as a 115cm.

This project is an accumulation of a little over two years of R&D. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: Mr. X
Yep! Here's a pic of the latest and greatest. It has evolved quite a bit. You're welcome to contact me via email or on the black reef instagram for more info

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 11.08.00 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 11.08.00 PM.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 46
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT