• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kyak setup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LongFin

Sep 25, 2003
Does anyone have any ideas as to how one might stow their guns and other equipment on to their kyak before setting off. I usually just tie everything down but it does get messy. Does anyone lash their gun to the side of the boat?? I have a sit on top with several metal rope holders on the back and front. Any pics would be nice

Have you tried lashing a motorcycle size bungee cargo net to the deck somewhere? That seems to work pretty good on my Wave Rebel Malaga bodyboard that I use for a spearfishing float. Haven't tried it on a yak, though, but I would think it would work about the same once you figured out where you wanted it.:)

Hi spearslinger,
I was thinking about that since I have a boogie board set up like that. I guess I'll try that but I would like to have the gun more safely stowed away somehow just in case the kyak flips with a wave. We sometimes go out nice and calm only to find the seas rough on the way home.

I tied a loop of 3 mm polypropylene cord through the hole in the butts of my guns. Then if I feel the need for extra security to keep from loosing a gun I can snap-link the cord loop to the cargo net.

Sounds good, I guess I'll put several snaps onto the cargo mesh bag and clip the gear in place... Thanks

kyak storage

M-2 had a good set of pictures of his diving kayak set-up in a previous thread. Search under his name and it should be easy to find.

There is a good article about this topic in the current issue of HSD. Check it out Alex...

Thanks I'll check out the new Hawaii SD when it comes in. I've got alot of places where I can clip netting or what not so I just have to figure from other people's experience on what would work best.

I have had similar problems spearfishing from my new kayak. Since I free dive I usually wear my gear on the kayak. I've been using the straps on the front hatch to transport my speargun.
This winter I'm going to try and bolt a heavy duty velcro strap
and a loop of surgical tubing to the side of my kayak to hold my speargun.

I usually keep mask around neck and fins/weight belt on as well so most I have to lash or attach onto the kyak would be the spearguns and float.
I would like to keep extra gear(masks, water bottle etc.) somewhere so I thought a mesh bag with marine elastic cord secured to the rigging on the boat?? Any comments or thoughts on this way of setting up??
There is a square recessed region behind where I sit which can hold a small 6 pack cooler.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT