• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

LA / OC ongoing Freediving meetup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A few quick clips from this morning's meetup. We had 6 people come out, and set up 2 floats/lines. It worked well. I got more diving in than other times when we only had one line.

I had a few very comfortable 22(ish) meter dives at around 1 minute. I feel like 20 meters is my new 15 meters. I used to have to think about it to go from 15 to 20 and push a little (all in my mind). Now 20 is very comfortable, and I'm starting to stop and chill out a little and try to take my time more on the ascent. It's fun to see how all the little steps are becoming second nature and I'm feeling the payoff in extended and deeper dive time. Slowly, slowly.

This is nice to see :)

I have been depth training at Redondo for the last few years. We used to kick out from Veterans Beach but now run my kaboat out of the harbor. It is rigged for counterweight since we hang the plate fairly deep these days, and soon will be rigging a longer rope. We train on Monday mornings.

Are you training this Sunday? I would love to come out and not have to mess with the boat! If you need an extra line I have one but no float. I have a lanyard.

@growingupninja that's awesome. I've been considering kayak or sup as an alternative to a tube float. But I'd need kayak or sup diving buddies so I haven't pursued it yet.

This Sunday is on (8am). Not sure yet how many people are going because many don't rsvp on the FB event. There may already be a second float and line, but bringing another lanyard would be very helpful. One is there consistently, but the person with the other has been gone the past couple weeks.

Here's the 'event' FYI, we just use it as an easy way to notify people in the FB group, nothing official.

What depth do you guys dive at on Mondays and how far out do you have to go to get it? We have a variety of people coming out so far. Mostly beginner, and a couple more experienced free divers. The lines are usually only in 25 meters. Seems many people are just trying to get to 20 again after their level 1 class, and the others that can get to the floor at 25 are working on repetition for comfort and time. So the swim out is working ok for now for that depth, but I'd imagine the swim would start to get tedious if we wanted to try 30-40 meters.

With the counterweight set-up we dangle the plate at 62M, we motor out about a 1.5 miles and just drift to keep the line vertical. Lena and I can hit the plate CWT and will soon be switching to a longer rope. We used to kick out and hang the line at 50M but after about 45 mins it would usually be run aground, and from that spot at veterans you are squarely in the outer harbor mouth so expect the lifeguards to come out and give you an earful (it is legal to be there as a swimmer in the same way as it is legal to jog on a narrow windy road at night in black clothing). I was comfy working with Lena and Mike on a 50M line and just drop weight because that depth was relatively easy for us but with other people would recommend you think about a counterweight set-up once you start getting much beyond 30M. We all do different workouts when we train; we all do some deeper drops and then some mix of static hangs, exhale dives, CNF, reverse pendulum, and interval training at shallower depths, usually 20 to 30 meters.

The kaboat is a great spearing/freediving platform. I regularly spear off mine at 40M and beyond, and it is rigid enough to be incorporated in the counterweight rigging.

What time Sunday are you meeting? EDIT: nevermind I see it now, it wasn't showing on my tapatalk! See you guys then.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnJDS
Nice, great to hear @growingupninja! It would be nice to connect with experienced people. The primary goal of the 'weekly' line dive meetup (and this thread) is so people can get to know other local divers and increase their potential dive buddy pool. Same with the FB group, it's meant to be a place anybody can wrangle a buddy or two for a dive.

Not sure if I'm going to make it Sunday myself, I'm on the fence with possibly going to the oil rigs Saturday. But people will definitely be there Sunday morning. We meet up at 8 am in the parking lot. Look for floats (green one and a red one) and long fins. People tend to cluster around Alasdair's white Jeep Cherokee. Hope you make it!

Reactions: growingupninja
Anybody still meeting up to do line dives???
Yes, a group of people were just out yesterday at Redondo. Call for rain this week so next weekend might not happen, but now that winter has mostly passed it is starting to happen weekly again. I'll try to cross post here if I see anyone post in the Facebook group if you're not a member of the group there.

Looks like at least a couple people will be line diving at Redondo tomorrow (April 1) at 8:00 am. Meeting in Veterans Park parking lot.

Looks like at least a couple people will be line diving at Redondo tomorrow (April 1) at 8:00 am. Meeting in Veterans Park parking lot.
Hey John, Let me know if you're doing any dives anytime soon. FII level 1 certified and looking to get in the water more.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT