• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lactic Acidosis

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Xaviera pepe

Oct 15, 2016
My husband came home after 12 hours of fishing and free diving/lobster diving all day/all night and after 5 hours of being in bed woke up in extreme discomfort , saying "he was in extreme pain bc the amount of lactic acid building up in his body..." saying that he was out of shape "and not to worry....this had happened before that this was acid build up." He is asleep now, but I am extremely concerned by his behavior. He seemed dazed and confused and in more pain/discomfort than I've ever seen him in. He said he "just over did it," but I'm afraid something else is wrong here. I personally think it may have been too many free dives...Can anybody weigh in (on lactic acidosis or otherwise)?
Thanks,
Concerned Wife

The lactic acid may well be a part of it, but it really sounds like he simply overdid it. Freediving has a way of really zapping your energy. It really helps to stay in shape, including spending time in the water on a regular basis. if you don't, you may wish that you had.
You don't say how often he dives, for how long each time, and what else he does for aerobic exercise, and how old he is.

DCS is a longshot possibility if he was doing repetative dives in deep water, especially if he kept at it for a long time. Extreme exhaustion is one of the symptoms of a mild DCS hit.

Agreed, but only if long and very deep dives (past 30 m for an extended period)

Its a subject that isn't well studied, to my knowledge. One of the earliest syptoms (unusual exhaustion) is normally ascribed to some thing else. Its possible, if unlikely,to get a DCS hit in a good bit less than30 m. A friend of mine, doing a lot 50-60 ft 2 minute plus dives (shooting big mutton snapper) ( I don't know how long the dive session was) got bent (diagnosed by the doctors at the Miami recompression chamber). It turned out to be a fairly mild case, known as skin bends. Complication, he flew home the evening after diving in an unpressurized plane, max altitude somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 ft. Looks like the flying set it off, but no telling how much more he would have had to do to get a hit without the flight.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT