• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lake waubesa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kraftyjack

Sep 18, 2009
Went to mcdaniel park in lake waubesa after reading about you other guys spearing there. Saw quite a few panfish, my 100cm gun just cant whip around fast or close enough to gettem though. Had to shoot from the hip mostly and only got 2 bluegill and 2 perch and 1 sucker. killed the sucker out of frustration at missing so many crappies. Shot a decent sized carp but ran into difficulty "dispatching" it. So noone told me carps heads are made of steel, holy shit. So there i am flailing wildly away at this carp with my tiny knife while the whole time its smacking me with its tail and i decide to try and shoot it again. yah im not very smart. Well in the process of transferring fish from spear to stringer it got away :( So what do you do, stab them in the eye? someone please help me in my amatuer ways.

Reactions: Dannyk
Ahh... I can picture it now and I'm laughing. Sorry. Ok. You could get to the brain from inside the gill or just behind that plate of steel and angle it forward. Or when you shoot them, shoot them in the head.

Any pics?

no underwater camera yet, thats a christmas gift hopefully. going to start taking pictures of the catches with regular camera now.

Yup, a 100cm gun is way too much for our lakes. Reminds me of Jon and the flag pole he brought with him the first time we went spearing.

What can I say- the gun was free?:blackeye

I think it was a good 5-6' long and I never got to shoot it 'normal' one single time- always had to hold the trigger by the hip so I could see the tip of the spear.

Of course, going to short didn't work out either- as I found out with the Bandito.

75cm Euro gun seemed to work out about best. I really liked my Cyrano 970, but the length was just too long for around here. It has me thinking about getting a Mares Spark in about a 55 or 70cm range. Not quite sure how short I want to go?

What I do know, is that I had to work like crazy to get my stringer full of fish using my Hawaiian Sling last time we were out. If I would have had a gun I could have done it in half the time- with twice the amount of perch.

Jon

Went to black hawk lake, northwest of dodgeville a ways, and shot a bunch of bluegill. It was a fun lake, kinda murky (vis ~6ft)but it dropped off to about 20ft right off the bank and i could swim down and shoot them from below. Saw alot of perch and crappie...my giant gun can only hit the stupid bluegill though. It was my first lake where i could go deeper than 10ft, so that was fun. Things i learned today, 1. a speed stringer would be immensely helpful compared to my rope that i have to tie and untie every time. 2. people in WI dont know what a wetsuit is 3. my giant diameter spear ruins most of the fillet. 4. a 7mm wetsuit probably requires more weight than im using (20lbs) since i have to blow out all my air just to stay on the bottom at 15ft.

Reactions: Tass
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT