• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lakes you Freedive or Spear - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Pine lake has a newish public access on the north end of the lake. You really need a boat to dive it. Beaver lake is across the street and can be done with a dive kayak- you can't get a boat on it as th boat launch is a flight of stairs. Td mentioned the long swim on Beaver lake to get tot he spearing spots, but I've done it and it isn't the end of the world to swim it.

Moose lake used to have a semi-public access on the south east shore, now the only way I know to get on her is through the very small boat launch on the southen most point of the west shore. We used to teach a LOT of scuba classes there back in the 80's- mid 90's. I know the lake well and she's worth the effort to dive her. Once the condos were built on her everyone switched over to Nagawicka for their scuba classes.

I'm thinking of a run out to Rock LAke today to see how things are. I'll take pictures if I go.

Jon

Well... the shoreline of Lake Michigan cleared up throughout the day today! Was just down there checking it out and FINALLY nice and clear. If it holds up overnight I hope to dive in tomorrow afternoon after work.

Will be thinking about all the carp shooters while I'm there. Have fun!
~Brian

Went to Lawrence Lake (pond) in Westfield, WI. Saw Lots of Bass and alot of small blue gills. Saw carp too but they were too close to the dam. (200 ft law). Only checked out a small part of the lake but looked good- vis was ok about 6-8 feet. Found a Small paddle boat on the bottom in about 10 feet down. Looked to of been there awhile. Would of taken pics but my camera was not acting right. (Dropped it while getting into the car) - This Lake has potential of being a good lake to spear in the summer time.

---------Scott

If my memory serves me right I think the mill pond is feed from a trout stream.
check your regs before spearing

Mill Pond? The map I have of the lake says it's Spring Feed. I've not heard it called mill pond. But I'll do some more checking- don't want to break any rules ;) -----------Scott

Ok- to add to my confusion- there is a trout stream that runs into the lake. Which I don't get why this map says it's spring fed. but anyways- the regulations say you can't spear in trout "Streams" I'm thinking the lake/pond isn't classified as a trout stream. but I'm not sure- so I emailed the DNR and am waiting they're answer.--Update to follow................................Scott

Whopper,

I think the DNR publishes a list of regs for Trout fishing that you can get in addition to the regular fishing regulations. The trout regs specifically define each and every trout stream with maps and descriptions.

I think checking that out would help too.
Brian

I heard back from the DNR- He said Lawrence Lake can be speared from sunrise to sunset. :friday He said even thougha trout stream feeds the lake. The lake it's self is not classified as a trout stream. This news makes me happy cause this is the lake that got me interested in spearfishing in the first place. Vis in the summer is usually 14' with good plant growth and loaded with Panfish and some huge Carp.

------------Scott

Whopperhead,

We are still needing a May event...would you want to do one at Lawrence Lake? We could get rid of some carp out of her...since the April Carp-Spear-O-Rama was not too productive.

I will be out of town 5/5 & 5/31, but would be willing to try something any other Saturday...your call.

Gene

Gene- we could do a May Carp-Spear-O-Rama event there. The only thing I'm thinking is its a small lake and there might be alot of boats out there on the weekend. The good thing about the lake is it's not a skiing lake so there won't be boats flying all over the place. I could do May 12th. It's always worth a try. The Carp should be spawning then also- Parking is limited there- but I believe you can park on the side of the road. Lawrence Lake could work well for us. There is also a Dam there that we have to stay 200' away from with the spearguns. On the other end of the lake it's loaded with stumps and downed trees. It's not a deep lake at all I think its max depth is 14/15'. But Lots of fish! Let me know what you think.

----------Scott

Scott,

Let's do it!

Start a thread in Wisconsin Freedivers & Spearos, make it sticky, & start it with May 2007...name it what ever you want. Post exactly where we should meet & at what time, etc... You can edit it as you get new info. Also, if you want, you can do a poll, so you will know who would be attending.

My son will not be able to go this time, so I wouldn't mind partnering up with you, if you want.

Gene

If you guys wanna shoot carp just head over to Buffalo Lake before it Greens UP it should be clear as a bell right now Start up by Packwaukee

I went down by the Milwaukee Harbor - McKinley Marina (2) days ago & walked the breakwater. Wow, was the water clear on the lake side. I bet 20' vis at least. I saw some carp swim by too. I got itchy to get in, but did not have my gear...kinda hard to do over a 1 hr lunch. :)

Gene

Went to WOOD LAKE in Marquette Co on 6-1-07. Vis was decent about 15'-18' and water temp was 68! Pretty warm! Lots of gills, found some breeding grounds holding some huge Bluegills:chatup . Lots of walleyes and bass but no Carp. I don't think i'll go there looking for carp anymore. Caught some video on my dig camera that was pretty cool. I got word that Carp are spawning in Lawrence lake in Marquette co (westfield) so, I think I'll be heading there next. Here's some pics of the day.

----------Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0028-1.jpg
    IMG_0028-1.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0010-1.jpg
    IMG_0010-1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 273
I've been to Wood Lk several times. Hard boat lauch to find, eh? I too never saw any carp - GOOD. Those are some very nice gills for Wood lake - the biggest I've seen. I usually get 6-12 decent crappies out of that lake per visit. Very pretty little piece of water - NO WAKE LAKE :).

Big bluegills and perch are in on Mendota. Clock is ticking before they head back out to deep water....

fish001sized.jpg

fish002sized.jpg

Where's the rest of your cath Ted- since that's only about a 1/3 of what you got yesterday. ;)

I just finished cleaning all of mine a little while ago- took a LOT longer than I thought.rofl

Mendota is a couple weeks past prime for vis, but the fish are everywhere. I think yesterday might be my best day spearing- ever. I don't think I've ever shot my gun so many times in one day- and actually hit something. ;)

I'll post pictures later.

Jon

Where's the rest of your cath Ted- since that's only about a 1/3 of what you got yesterday. ;)

Do you know that I had 10 of those perch on my stringer?!? I didn't think I tagged that many, but I had a hot hand towards the end of the dive. If vis holds up, I'll be taking a vacation day Tuesday and jumping back in. You only see perch like that in the shallows once in 500 dives.

You only see perch like that in the shallows once in 500 dives.

thats because you cant get up in the morning. they are the second ones out of the weeds behind the walleyes. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT