• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

latex or urathane???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hawkeye31

May 5, 2002
Im considering buying an expensive freedive suit that does not come with any knee or elbow reinforcements. Because I exclusively dive from a rocky shoreline, I need to find a product that I could apply to these areas that would provide protection from tears without hindering mobility. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Sorry about the double thread. I tried to delete the second post but I am uncredentialed to do so.

Adam

I think that you should get a suit with nylon outside, at least for the pants. Either way, it is easy to cut a circle about four inches in diameter from neoprene and slightly smaller from the worn out knee area of the suit after one year. This gives you new knees and more flexibility. Bug season in CA used to be very hard on knees, even with the heavy duty 6 mil Rubatex.

Aloha
Bill

If you're going off the rocks in La Jolla or PV or the tip of Coronado, having nylon on the exterior is going to save you a lot of grief. You may be surprised that most of your damage will come from just casual bumps on the bottom or rolling over the rail of the kayak/boat. That said, I know what you mean about a skin exterior being really flexible an fast in the water...

Two things- painting the wear areas with latex will work. I even do it on my nylon exterior Picasso's. Things seem to skid off it better. Then also you might want to give Andy a call at Blue Water Hunter in Santa Barbara, tell him I sent you and ask him to sew the small kevlar pads on. Cheap, thin and pretty bombproof except for that urchin that always seems to find a way...:blackeye

Oh, and hey! I was talking to Roger at Picasso down there and he has a load of the Chicle suits that are a year old/out of production, etc, and he wants to off them at a smokin' deal. Let him know I clued you in or that carpet merchant will work you, haaaard.

Hey I called you last month when I was down there to go slay some WSB. Thanks for all the calls and letters.... howz the fam?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. There is no way Im not going with a nylon exterior. I find that the majority of the damage to my current suit is from a) sitting on by bum at the waterline putting on my fins while dodging waves and surge, and b) crawling on my hands and knees while exiting the water as quickly as possible to avoid getting rolled by waves.

So, I can paint a layer or two of latex on these areas to prevent / slow down the inevitable damage. Good. Any type of latex recommended, or are they about the same?

thanks again

Kanoko ?

I have an Elios 5mm Kanoko - I sit around on granite (rough rock) and dive around granite - so far so good.

Used it alot over the summer ("free" for 3 months...) and no wear yet.

Alot of shore entries with rough rocks and so on. My Picasso socks are trashed - I use a black silicone sealant on the soles to improve the wear factor - cant remember the make but it is about five pounds for a long tube. Used for caulking boats I think - Marine Sealant ? Anyway, it works well on suits too.

Hope that is helpful.
Ed

Wisconsin??

The latex stuff I use is called Graftobian Theatrical Liquid Latex from Wisconsin of all places... and it's available at theatre supply places in LA, I'm sure.

small world

OK, I've never heard of this stuff before, but the place is a mile from my house- and about equal distance from Tedski's house.

I'll have to go there next week, when I have some free time, and check it out. ;)

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT