• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lavacore instead of wetsuit for 77F 25C water?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jimqpublic

Love snorkeling in warm water.
May 4, 2006
I will be going to Maui, Hawaii in January and want to be comfortable in the water. I mostly snorkel on the surface with dives to the reef from 10 to 30 feet (10m) depth.

I just returned from a trip and was a bit cool after an hour in the water on cloudy days or when in bays with cold-water springs. I was fine on sunny days. January water temperature is predicted to be about 3 degrees cooler at 77F (25C). I wore board shorts, a 1.5mm neoprene T-shirt, and a long sleeve hooded lycra rashguard. I would rather not add more buoyancy since I'm diving so shallow. I want long sleeves and a hood for sun protection.

I recently learned about Lavacore and Sharkskin garments. They use a fleece lining inside a stretchy water resistant membrane. The idea is the fleece holds water in place, the membrane keeps flushing to a minimum. Since they don't have foam, they are neutral buoyancy. Claims of warmth are equivalent to a 2-3 mm wetsuit which would be great for my use.

We tend to try out different beaches, go to town for lunch, etc. so having an insulating top over board shorts is a lot more convenient than a full wetsuit.

Any experience with these types of garments?

I remembered having a discussion on the same topic with someone a couple of years ago so backtracked to dig this one out but hope it helps.

I have a lavacore hooded top. It is pretty nice, but nowhere near as warm as my 3mm open cell top. If ill be in for a couple hour waters, I can get by with the lavacore, especially on a sunny day. If I'm going more than 2 hours, Ill wear the wetsuit top, if im going all day, ill wear the pants too. I would say 77 is a bit borderline. and I wouldnt expect the lavacore to be too much different in warmth from the 1.5 you have.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT