• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Leaderfins Ice with C4 400 Footpockets

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mik3ydll

Jan 7, 2018
Just "build" a new pair of fins and wanted to share my experience with pairing Leaderfins Ice blades with C4 400 footpockets.

TLDR: glued them and it seems fine. Maybe should have gone for the C4 adapter set and mounting screws though, would make it easily replaceable, but adds ~25€ per fin.

Started with the blades, here compared to my Ultrafins speedy
IMG_20200728_130431__01.jpg

Then got the footpocket
IMG_20200730_125457.jpg

and fitted on the fin to see if it works
IMG_20200730_125436.jpg
IMG_20200730_125444.jpg

Which showed me that I had to either cut the rails of the blade or cut the footpocket. I decided to scrape off the rails as far as needed.

The next step was to put the blade in the pocket and glue it with super glue aka cyanoacrylate. I glued it on the bottom and top and after that the rails by dripping in some from the top.
The issue is that the gaps seem to be quite big, so I'll have to see if it actually holds.
The final result looks quite:
IMG_20200730_184815.jpg
IMG_20200730_184830.jpg

I was wondering how this is holding up for you?
I got some c4 300 footpockets and some longer carbon leaderfins blades. I tried scraping back the rails and gluing with superglue, unfortunately the tendons came loose after a dive and on closer inspection it seems the blades are a bit loose under the foot as well. I put together some cetmas and leaderfins blades recently and they are holding together well but the cetmas have very short tendons.

Any tips on making the combination work?
I love the fit of the c4s and leaderfins blades so I'd love to make it work. Thanks!

Unfortunately didn't get too dive much with them yet, Y40, few times Lake. So far they are holding up fine, probably shouldn't remove too much of the ribs so that it tight enough.
A possible solution for you would be to get the c4 adapter kit, like this https://www.spearfishingworld.com/C4-300-Foot-Pocket-Adapter-Kit.html . Then you can glue on the C4 rails and hook the footpocket onto that. I was actually thinking about doing it with that, but was too expensive if it works with glue only.

86CB7266-CF96-440D-83A9-A52A2E4E287E.jpeg
C4-400. This didn’t go well for me! Broke my fin! I made a similar build with the 400 foot pockets and it snapped my fin in less than 6months. I have to say I’m very unimpressed with them. They have damaged and now broken a pair of blades. I think the problem is that they do not accommodate fin rails and the blade adaptor compounds the pressure in the blade at a very critical flexion point causing damage to the blade.
Since this has been less than a year, I’ve asked for a refund - no reply yet. This will not replace the broken blades ($300) but at least I can replace with a different foot pocket that won’t damage the new fins I’ll have to buy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT