• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Learn to FreeDive in the UK with DeeperBlue.net

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
As loyal DeeperBlue.net members i'm pleased to let you know first that we today announced that we have launched the first dedicated courses to FreeDiving in the UK.

We have secured the use of S.E.T.T (formerly known as HMS Dolphin) and will be running courses to learn to FreeDive from October 2004 all year round.

We also have packages for FreeDivers who want to come and experience the 30m bath!

Head over to http://www.deeperblue.net/courses for more information

Last edited:
What a great idea!!

I had my first little try at this on Sunday at Horsea Island. I had my divemasters practising compass navigation with some open water students in the car park, and myself and another member of staff decided to have a little try. Both in drysuits with about 11kg!!! and little stubby jet fins, it was very hard, but I hit the bottom and managed to stay down for about 1 minute (pathetic I know)

It would be very good to have some proper instruction in it because whilst different, it was quite enjoyable.

freediving in a drysuit is not a good idea... it's potentially very dangerous. you become incredibly heavy at depth and it can be difficult to move when you become tightly shrink-wrapped.

As I stated, we just had a little duck under the water.
On the bottom I was probably about 1 kg negative, plus the squeeze made my eyes water!! We had a ladder within arms reach and only dived down singly, with the buddy on the surface watching, just in case the worst should of happened.
As such I don't feel we put ourselves in any danger, no more than beginning a dive and forgetting to connect your drysuit inflator.

Poseidon,

We have people coming from all over Europe to do the courses with us! So still consider coming along even if you don't live in the UK!

Hey,

Do you know if the SETT is available for freedivers to use without having to apply for a course? Is SETT even still running?

Thanks

Alix,

The SETT is running very well - we run about 2 courses a month there. Head over to Welcome to DeeperBlue.net Courses - Learn FreeDiving with the experts! for more information.

Regarding qualified FreeDivers. We do run a scheme whereby people who have completed an AIDA course or one of the approved list of courses on our SETT page can come along to the tank. However these spaces are very rare as our courses tend to be sold out several months in advance and course students take priority.

Take a look at the courses site and drop me a line.

I was wondering wether someone might be able to give me a little advise, I'm looking to buy Umberto Pelizzari's Free Diving Manual, could anyone suggest someone or somewhere from whom/where I could procure a cheep second hand copy?

Cheers
Vasco

To all
I am moving to Liverpool in September.
Are there any Free Diving Clubs in Liverpool???
Thanks
Phill

Hello pillihp and welcome to deeper blue.:)
Have a word with forum member Jay Cluskey, he’s a decent sort of bloke (but don’t tell he I said thatrofl) and I’m pretty sure he’s based in Liverpool.
Good luck
Paul.

Reactions: apneaboy
Jay is in Liverpool. If you can't get in touch with Jay speak to Steve Millard (apneaboy) - all info on the freedivers.co.uk website.

Stuart

We run courses in Liverpool and Manchester just send me an e-mail buddy i'll sort something out for you soon. Lots going on up here at the moment :)

Reactions: podge
Can anybody tell me what i should do please, i learnt how to freedive by watching videos on internet and can get to aorund 20 metres but would like some proper training/coaching any ideas ( i live in the east midlands)

Speak to Steve (apneaboy) as in the post above yours - he'll sort you out!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT