• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Leg Cramps

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Aug 30, 2013
So just getting into freediving a bit more and more this year and beginning to do some proper training with a club that a few mates have started. We're all a bit novice but there isn't anything even close to a pro club within a 4 hour drive so we're making due and travelling to classes when we can. My issue at the moment is leg cramps that keep sneaking up on me during training. They seem to arise out of nowhere and are really hard to shake off. They go down the outside of my calf muscles and just linger until I finish my dives.

We primarily train for spearfishing style diving so a lot of 10m - 20m drops with bottom time. We're also training in a lake that is about 12 degrees c at the moment so quite cold. I run about 8k's 3 times a week through hills and don't cramp. Overall I'm in pretty good shape so having a hard time figuring out what's going on as it's no fun when you're super relaxed sitting at the bottom of the line and then as soon as you begin to kick up it's cramp city.

Any thoughts?

So just getting into freediving a bit more and more this year and beginning to do some proper training with a club that a few mates have started. We're all a bit novice but there isn't anything even close to a pro club within a 4 hour drive so we're making due and travelling to classes when we can. My issue at the moment is leg cramps that keep sneaking up on me during training. They seem to arise out of nowhere and are really hard to shake off. They go down the outside of my calf muscles and just linger until I finish my dives.

We primarily train for spearfishing style diving so a lot of 10m - 20m drops with bottom time. We're also training in a lake that is about 12 degrees c at the moment so quite cold. I run about 8k's 3 times a week through hills and don't cramp. Overall I'm in pretty good shape so having a hard time figuring out what's going on as it's no fun when you're super relaxed sitting at the bottom of the line and then as soon as you begin to kick up it's cramp city.

Any thoughts?
Cramps are usually overworked muscles. Are you using hard fins? Softer or shorter might make a big difference.

Sometimes cramps are due to chemical inbalances of potassium or magnesium. Magnesium citrate is magic for me when body surfing big waves (something I do seldom and really stresses my legs). If you try it, careful, the stuff is a laxative

Another important thing is to be very well hydrated. Drinking really a lot of water before and during any sport activity helps me a lot to reduce risk of cramps. Also proper warm up, warm out and stretching is usually helps me.

Usually the cold increases risk of cramps. That's why maybe you don't have cramps while running but in the cold water you have them.

Warm up exercises also help. I do laps at the pool with my longfins to strengthen my legs, on my back, not underwater. When I first started doing this I would invariably get foot or calf cramps after the first couple of laps. The problem was that I would just start going at it full tilt and my leg muscles did not have time to get a good blood flow and circulation. The solution for me is to take it REAL slow for the first few laps. After the first length I stop and stretch my calf and foot - grab my foot and really pull back to stretch my calf and foot - and I do this even though my leg feels fine. Then I do another length - stop, stretch. Repeat 3 or 4 times. After that I begin my laps slowly and then build up my speed over another 2 or 3 laps. And immediately stop and stretch again if I feel any tightening coming on. I've found that I can't just "work through" an impending cramp - it always gets worse if not tended to immediately.
Also, as said above, good hydration and I eat a banana before each workout - potassium and energy in one easy to digest package.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteSca
Cheers for the feedback. I'm using medium carbon leaderfins and have gotten to that point where I've invested in some decent kit. I was subconsciously wondering if it was the water temp since 2 hours in 13 degree water generally leaves the lips a bit numb and I can definitely begin to feel the cold after the first hour or so.

Have been debating some yoga or Pilates on my off running days but have been a bit lax on getting into it. May be worth a shot to begin some stretching rituals prior to going out. Diving on Thursday so will do a bit of a warm up and some stretching to see if that helps out. I feel that I stay pretty hydrated for the most part as I make a conscious effort to do so throughout the day. Will give the bananas a shot too.

In my experience what really helped my cramps was getting a softer fin and training in water.
Always start with soft fins, then you will always have time to switch to harder once you get fitter.
Running and freediving are different in terms of athletic preparation and muscle use.
Be sure to do a lot of ankle stretching (like dancers) this helps to straighten the foot when kicking and put less load to your calf muscle.
This is what i mean:

Take time, do not hurry and things will get better with time and exercise.

Emile

A good stretch is half the work ;)

And there are quite some exercises you can do in a short amount of time, out of the water.

Please check these videos since I think they are useful for any freediver:

nice exercises to get rid of cramps in your feet.

5 calve exercises you can do at home in 5 minutes.

more in depth exercise for regular, inner and outer calve muscles

some basic calve stretches and some really nice ones with a foam roller.
(if you don't have a foam roller, GET ONE, seriously. It is great for tight muscles and it just feels great. They are cheap, but don't make the mistake to get the soft ones, they need to be hard.
Don't want a foam roller? just fill a hard plastic bottle to the top with water , gives a similar effect.

Enjoy!

Luuk

Reactions: nurSEAllen
The worst cramp that I ever had and I hardly ever get them was when I was bodyboarding. It came out of nowhere and was not going away, paddled and used my good leg to get back in, stretched and had a couple of bananas that I had in the car, one of the vitamins or minerals in bananas helps prevent muscle cramps but I cant remember which one, probably potassium but I will find out. Went back out with no problems, I looked back at the weekend and had trained the day before which involved 150 bodyweight calf raises and calf raises with bodyweight plus 60Kg weights plus dead lifts and squats, I reckon that I had just overloaded the muscles without enough recovery for bodyboarding the next day........... I am getting old you know ;) The point of my post is and I will get to it............... don't over load the calves before diving, if you have a day diving planned be mindful of any training that you are doing the day before and eat bananas, a divers best friend:D Good luck and hope you manage to keep the cramps at bay, a bad cramp is BAD news in the sea.

Any thoughts?

I would highly recommend kinesiology tape. SpiderTech specifically offers a wide variety of pre-cuts. It's a simple and cost effective solution and it's waterproof so you can wear it in the water with you. It increases blood flow and protects muscle tissue. Cramps are a common use for kinesiology tape, among other things. You can purchase it online at www.spidertech.com.

Great tips in this thread, really helpful. I usually get cramps in my calves after 4+ hour sessions and also my fins arent optimal for spearfishing(cressi modulars) because of the angle of the blade. But i didnt have much to choose from where i live so i will have to wait a while before i get a opportunity to get new ones for a fair price and try out the green softer blades meanwhile.

Will def try out the stretching exercises recommended here!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT