• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Legal Terms!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alexanderXP

May 27, 2005
Is it acctualy legal (in the baggage) to transport sperguns over the world???i mean just take them with ya and fly some where else where you can fish?Becuase where i live (Germany,Berlin) spearguns are legal BUT you cant hunt with them(if the speargun is ready set-up and close to the shore or beach or water or sm... YOU PAY FINE=!

Because i will fly this summer for a brake and want to take my spearguns (2) with me(spain,or greece....).....

THANK YOU!!!

i ask because i travel a lot and i just want to know!!

No problem, I put mine in 100mm dia PVC pipe and in a bag.
anyone asks tell em its fishing equipment.

Make sure you declare it at the check in - don't just hope for the best. You will prob have to take it to a special desk with outsize bagage. Try not to use the word 'gun' -call it a fishing spear or a harpoon. Airlines are suprisingly flexible with what you can put in the hold. The only time you may get a problem is if you try to take it into a country where spearfishing is banned outright such as the maldives or egypt (red sea). Not sure about pneumatic guns though - you may have to show that they are empty and don't pose a risk of exploding!

Personally, I wouldn't declare it unless flying to or from a country where it is required that you do so. I live in the US, where it is not required that you do so. From people I have talked to, telling the airline that you have a speargun (even though you are completely in your legal rights to) usually just causes problems. They want to know why you have a speargun, and then it just turns into a real ordeal. just say you are carrying FISHING EQUIPTMENT. Also, i try not to talk about it with other passengers. there are some people who also get freaked out if you say h\you have a speargun.

What is the problem? I fly with firearms regularly and they are perfectly legal so how could a speargun cause a hassle? For a firearm, you just tell the ticket clerk you need a firearm tag and fill it out. If anyone asks, you tell them the ammunition is in the other bag and all is hokey-dokey. The TSA dudes tend to be gun-nuts, so they're happy and helpful, especially if you can tell some hairy hunting stories. Tell some outrageous spearo tales, point out that the rubber is loose and uncocked and that the spear is separate from the gun. Ship it through and enjoy your trip.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT