• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lessons learned - a SWB Story

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks for sharing Amphibius. You are very lucky and very brave. I am glad you are still with us. I wish you a fast and good recovering. I am one of those diving solos because the lack of budys.... Your story realy had shaken me. Saludos

Carlos

Glad you made it Amphibious. Thanks for sharing your story and I'll pray for your speedy recovery. Interesting about diving alone but that's another thread. Take it easy.

Re: lesson's learned - a SWB story

Millenniums are pretty inefficient for deep dives like that, I think you would be wise to thinking about an upgrade mate. The difference in efficiency might have got you home safely that time. Put all the things together that could have caused it and any advantage you can get yourself has to be worth a fistful of dollars :)

SHIT!!
Glad you’re still in the land of the living and I also send my very best and hope for a speedy recovery and a safe return to the water.
Best
Paul

what a shocker! glad to hear that you are OK. the crazy thing is, and the biggest lesson, is you say it felt like a great dive on the way up.... there really is NO warning, and NO symptom in your case. If you don't mind me asking: were you more tired than normal before the dive? a few drinks the night before? any medication? did you eat/drink anything a little unusual? dehydration? illness?

thanks for sharing, and I wish you a quick recovery.

Colin - Holy Crap!

We can glean that you have one bitchin survival urge dude. I've never heard of anyone recovering like that. No doubt partly due to smart weighting.
Spaghetti - we can assume he lost a chunk of time after the reel check.

Seriously glad you remain among us, my friend.

amphibious,

very sobering story, glad you are ok.

did you inhale any boat exhaust? for example, when you were hanging off the rope tied to the boat, was it running?

even a small amount of carbon monoxide inhalation could help explain what happened.

hope you feel better soon,

sean
vancouver, canada

As I don’t know of anyone that has had a SWB alone and survived I consider myself very very lucky and I ask those that have to just read this to not make the same mistake I did. don’t be an fool (like me), ignorance and over confidence nearly cost me my life. Always dive with a buddy. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are, or how long you have been diving, this could happen to you. It’s instantaneous, gives no warning signs and hits like a freight train.
I also haven't heard of anyone else who survived a SWB alone. Again, glad you are OK. I hope the solo divers here read this and think again. There really is no warning at all.

Colin, glad you're still with us... by the way, if you concentrate and mentally visualize the dive over and over, particularly the last seconds, then eventually you may be able to remember everything, but it could take weeks for the memories to appear. In particular, although you can't remember anything from 30ft, it is very likely that you made it to the surface still conscious, as the memory lapse goes back many seconds.

Boat exhaust can be fatal as Sean mentioned, I had it happen to me before.

To say that there is no warning is still sometimes incorrect. In Colin's case, his memory ends at 30ft. However, what could have occurred is that as he ascended to 15ft or 10ft, he may have felt very hypoxic and suddenly realized a blackout was imminent. However, since that region is not in memory (yet), what memory remains makes it appear as though it happened out of the blue.

In my case, my first ocean blackout seemed 'out of the blue', and upon awakening I was amazed that I had blacked out. However, after that and a few more sambas/BOs (under controlled conditions), I began to develop a better ability to feel the problem coming. That is not to say that such a sense is reliable, but certainly in my case I was able to develop it, but only after many blackouts in controlled conditions. For that reason, having deliberate blackouts in a course such as PFI can actually be beneficial to improve your sense of imminent hypoxia.

Spearfishing or concentrating on some task takes your mind away from subtle inner sensations, and any feeling of hypoxia may go unnoticed. Another reason why I consider 'pure' freediving safer than a concentrated activity like hunting.

what a shocker! glad to hear that you are OK. the crazy thing is, and the biggest lesson, is you say it felt like a great dive on the way up.... there really is NO warning, and NO symptom in your case. If you don't mind me asking: were you more tired than normal before the dive? a few drinks the night before? any medication? did you eat/drink anything a little unusual? dehydration? illness?

thanks for sharing, and I wish you a quick recovery.

no drinks the night before
no unusual diet
no meds
no illness
was well hydrated

boat was not running.

will keep rolling it over in my head. still goes from 25ish feet to the surface with nothing in between....

That's a really frightening story and makes me seriously reconsider my own habits of spearfishing alone due to lack of a buddy ...
Very happy for you Amphibious that you were given your life back! Somehow I probabely know how you feel now - i had 3 situations in my own life where I was extremely lucky that it didnt end right there. One was a microsleep during night driving - pretty comparable to a SWB, although there are more pre-signs for it - which made me go off the road with 80 km/h. I woke up with the car jolting through an even, muddy field beside the road, the only spot within 20 km of this country road where the accident could end totally harmless. But the shock stays in your bones, together with the feeling of your life beeing given back to you, kinda miracle...

I wonder what saved your life in this bad situation? Was it your weight belt arranged in a way that made you turn on your back once you were on the surface?

Take care and good luck,

Ivo

Whoa Colin!!! Man am I glad you are still with us! If I'm counting right, this was the Sunday after you dove with us? Thanks for posting, you just reinforced my resolve.

Keep turning it over, more may surface. Unirdna had a wild BO with me and remembered much more about it the next day. There is a description in Freediving Stories a couple of years ago, "our greatest enemy" or something like that. I've read in these forums of at least one other guy who recovered after BOing by himself, but its mighty rare.

Connor

I'm so glad your still alive to share this story. I hope that all of my friends will read this and begin to dive safer. Some of them will still dive alone, thinking that if they don't push thier limits, they'll be fine. Making a choice to not dive alone takes quite a strong character if you have frequently dove solo in the past. Probably like quitting drinking or smoking. I'm tempted every time I can't find a buddy. I mean, what are the odds of this happening to me? Screw that. Thank you soo much for posting this.
Tony

Whoa Colin!!! Man am I glad you are still with us! If I'm counting right, this was the Sunday after you dove with us? Thanks for posting, you just reinforced my resolve.

Keep turning it over, more may surface. Unirdna had a wild BO with me and remembered much more about it the next day. There is a description in Freediving Stories a couple of years ago, "our greatest enemy" or something like that. I've read in these forums of at least one other guy who recovered after BOing by himself, but its mighty rare.

Connor

this was it connor:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/freedi...ntimate-account-our-most-dangerous-enemy.html

Colin, I am sick thinking about your almost fatal encounter. This is a serious wake up call for all of us. Next trip, I will buddy up with you anytime. It is something we all need to do. I am so glad you are still with us. God bless you in your recovery my friend.

lee

FFSake. Glad you're around for some more time here Colin.

im still concerned about something, the root cause behund the blackout? it doesnt seeem that willer pushed himself or went after fish, short surface time, etc....so what caused it this time..??

Beg pardon, but I wonder; considering how fragile the carbon fins are, wouldn't it be a better deal to have durable fins that are not as likely to break? Fins take a pretty good beating when spearing, so that's why I wonder.

I dive both carbons and plastics, prefer the plastics for spearing bottom fish as they are less fragile, don;t make a huge "clack" when they hit something, and it I put huge scratches in them from pushing off the bottom i don't cry.

I do notice a huge difference in leg fatigue when useing the carbons though. 80ft is well within margins for plastic fins (to me). have taken plastics much deeper on many ocasions.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT