• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Let it fry.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
Friday night I tried to do a crispy fried fish in the Chinese manner and it came out rather well. It certainly was easy!

I took a fresh tilapia, dredged it in 1/4 cup cornstarch into which I had put salt pepper and a 1/8 teaspoon 5-Spice. Deep fried in peanut oil, it came out very tasty and with a truly splendid crispy skin. I'll have to do this again sometime.

Should go really well with Thai fried rice, come to think of it.

And lots of cold beer, of course.

Reactions: Mr. X
Frying tonight!

Good timing Sarg, I recall a University Professor extolling the virtues of peanut oil for cooking on the radio - supposed to be v. good for stir fries. Wouldn't have thought of corn starch (corn flour might be interesting).

I've been thinking of doing a little fish frying myself. Bass fried in butter, as suggested by Firefox for one. I also have some pollock fillets in the freezer and had been thinking of frying them, either in batter (a la Hugh Fernley-Wittingstall/River Cottage) or bread crumbs.

I seem to recall Hugh coated the fish with something before battering it, can't recall if it was flower or egg, both or something else. Also, can you fry batter fish in a frying pan or does it have to be deep fat fried (don't own a chip pan). I think there is already a thread on batter, will have to look up some recipes!

I used a wok but so long as the oil comes up at least half way on the fish the skillet will work. I used a beer batter recipe for fish tacos a while ago. Lemmee see . . .

Ah, here we are:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup beer

To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).

It's heavenly but filling.

Indeed peanut oil is superb as is safflower oil...their is a japanese breading Sanzo I think that is off the chain for deep frying I use 1/2 italian bread, 1/2 Jap and its just the right amount of flavor and crunch...hmmm 1/2 Italian 1/2 Japanese:inlove

Have any of yall tried rice flour? That's my next experiment on both fish & shrimp.

We'll expect a report on that one. Sounds good. I tried oat flour once. Don't do that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT