• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lets be careful out there...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Brown,

This is scarry news. How do you think it happened ?

Let say he wanted to commit suicide, by shooting his own throat, the gun must be very short or else how long his hand must be to be able to pull the trigger with the tip aiming at his neck ?

Maybe he tried to butt a fish with his gun's butt while the gun is still loaded and it somehow self-fired from the vibration/shock?

I think he tried loading a pneumatic gun, and the plastic loader slipped so, naturally the shaft get launched out. Only pneumatic can have a freak loading accident to this level.

Maybe he has a loaded gun in his hand and he was holding it in the middle and it so happened the spear was pointing at his neck, then it self fire from trigger mechanism failure. The gun must be not too long then. Maybe max at 110cm.

Someone else shot him ?

I am not kidding here, I just want to figure out how this happened. This is realy bad for us spearos. If this happen too often, next thing you know they want to band spearguns. In fact a kitchen knife can do more damage than a speargun.

Many more people get killed by accidental fire arms discharging, sometime while cleaning a gun or kids playing with it. Accidental shooting by fellow hunters occured often too in the field.

Is there a way to find out what actually happened and what type of speargun and brand that is ..... if the accident was result of a speargun mailfunction, I really want to avoid that brand.

IYA

The shaft was one meter its written in the article. Since the shaft is one meter the gun must be 71 or 75 like this. If the gun was band gun it may happened like this. He replace the butt of the gun to his stomach and pulled the bands but suddenly butt slide from his stomach and the tip of the gun come across his head.After that he pulled the triger accidentally or gun decide to discharge.

Murat,

I guess other readers might find U and me a bit :duh for trying to figure out what actually happened. But I think as a spearo we need to know that most freak of accident can happen to us and sometime in the excitement of the hunt, we might accidentaly put ourself in that situation.

I use an Ice Pick on my Riffe. This little tip falls off easy and I don't want to allow the mini kevlar line securing line to get squeezed between the rubbers. I am afraid the rubber will get cut upon firing. In a few occassion, I load all the band first and place the tip of the adaptor. Sometime in my mind it flashes by, WHAT IF suddenly the trigger failed and shoot the shaft the moment I am working on the tip. I always use 2 fingers and keep them as wide open as possible, but the loading fins/tabs on the shaft will surely whack my fingers big time. Scarry if I really think of it.

Lately I only allow myselft to load 1 band at the maximum and place the tip on the adaptor and carry on with the other 3 bands.

Well I'll pray that no freak accident fall upon me or my friends & u all. Our worst case was teeth being butt-ted by the speargun recoil.

IYA

Man that is one luccky guy! My girl just saw that photo and now she is sure I will become rig-kaba'd on my next trip!:waterwork

Uh.. pretty bad... I think it is reasonable to try to figure out what happened, it is much better to learn from others mistakes than waiting till it hapens to you..
huh that is really scary stuff!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT