• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Let's come back with a bang...: e-cigarettes ;)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

yaffle

Face down and away!
Jul 1, 2005
Well, Let's do this (again). After years of not diving due to many personal circumstances, I'm trying to get back in the game. This means exercise (a lot ;) ), loosing weight, picking up the tables again and slowly getting back in the water eventually. This also means I got to quit my renewed smoking habit again.... from years of not smoking to a pack a day the last 5 months. But wait...This is 2014! E-cigarettes... vaping? No tar, no bad stuff (well, so they say), just a bit of nicotine....
Has anybody here tried freediving and vaping? Would it affect the dives? Would you have greater BO risks? Would it bring my results down?
Bring it on folks... ;)

Yaffle

Freediving as well as other sports is about living with harmony when it comes to Your body and healthy habbits. Every stimulant that is potentially bad for Your health will hinder Your performance to some degree. Some will do it more, some will do it less. There is nobody that would tell You excact % that You are asking :)

So answering to Your questions, it's yes to all of them..

Reactions: Bussard
i was vaping for a while but its still nicotine so its only a stop gap what stopped me was allen carr :)

As nicotine increses your resting pulse, i would say it directly decreses your dive times since you will have a ahrder time getting your pulse down. This will make your body use more O2 than could be achived with no nicotine in the body.

Yes, but as far as I know, it also causes vasoconstriction... I personally doubt that there can be a significant benefit there, but just saying ;)

My roomate quit smoking cigs over 9 months ago and there is so many benefits that people seem to easy dismiss ecigs.. You can always tell the uneducated person when the first thing they say about them is how they are still bad for you, i always roll my eyes at those kind of people, for they just dont know better... the smell on your clothes, breath and car alone should be enough to quit smoking. I know my roommate talks about every stinky smoker that walks by, not in a negative way, but that its just easier to notice. She's not ostracized anymore whenever she wants to step out and smoke, either by family, friends and other non smokers. When she started vaping she was on a high nicotine level and shes gone down to 1/4 of what she started with. She started with the junk lizard juice polypropylene glycol mixes to a much safer vegetable glycerine based liquid. Im not going to sit here and talk about the goods and the bad of either because nothing we do is healthy for us at the end of the day. Even after Mcdonalds has dozens of documentaries about how bad and fake their food is, their lines are always chock full....what im getting at is...people just dont give a shit anymore, its all about the instant gratification when you are smoking...just saying it like it is....

You can speak to ANY hardcore drug user, any of them, and they will tell you, smoking cigs is the one drug thats almost impossible to quit. People dismiss those that give them up way too easily. I was able to quit smoking tobacoo cold turkey no problem, but only 1% of people i know was able to do that. People can kick heroine and meth addictions, but will smoke most likely smoke cigs their entire lives....

The biggest issue right now is that people need that hand to mouth psychosomatic attributes of smoking a cig and find that a metal lightsaber like contraption to either be a great and powerful tool, or just another thing they spend a shit ton of money on and give up... they require patience, and the knowledge of how to clean them, assemble, and maintain them. My roommate would be sucking on cigarettes if she wasnt able to hand it to me and have me fix it....mainly because shes doesn't know what she doesn't know...and sometimes, you just dont want to fuck around with something, when all you want is a puff...thats why many people give up and go back to smoking.

I have done countless hours of research and testing on many types of vapes. If you have questions on anything ill be more then happy to help, jus ask.

you cant take one cingular issue like smoking and claim that everyone responds the same way..everyone is different, some people i know dont smoke on dive days and some smoke between dive spots....

I try to avoid coffee on dive days, but some people i know drink that while they are suiting up on the boats...it would kill my bottom time, but seems to help theirs...

for the weed smokers...i know some people that dont smoke the day before, and some that feel they need to smoke just before getting in to relax....

do what feels comfortable to you. I just drink water, avoid large meals and snack on small protein bars, drink lots of water (not Gatorade or any other salty sports drinks) ....but occasionally ill indulge in some Dions Chicken. Something about it turns magical as soon as it leave the docks.,It is the food for the gods...oh and ill drink more water...

lol, if I smoke weed before I dive I spend the whole time looking for sharks :) fortunately my back never hurts in the water so I don't need to.

actually, quitting smoking is only as hard as you make it, I'd explain why but I'd just be copy and pasting Allen Carr's book "Easy Way to Quit Smoking".

Never quit alone, always have a buddy .

take a course.

:p

Minno

Only thing harder than quitting cold turkey is quitting warm ham. It's frickin delicious.

Reactions: Bussard
E-cigs have helped A LOT of my friends with cigarette habits at least be healthier; they are able to taper down the nicotine intake but most didn't stop smoking altogether because they enjoy the act itself.

None of the spearos I know smoke cigarettes but a fair number like to puff the ganja, some of them multiple times a day. The heavier smokers among them switched to vaping, plus with a little bit of extra doodads they can smoke completely in public (marijuana is basically legal in CA but smoking isn't). They all reported noticeably better lung function.

As far as vaping's effect on freediving physiology I doubt it would be much different than smoking the plants but with less tar and CO.

www.quitnet.com , it works.

if you can get Allan Carr's book "Easy way to quit smoking" it's a good read.

minnow
Used Easy Way to quit about 3 years back. Was amazed that reading a book (combined with exercising so much I was too tired to think about smokes) worked as well as it did.

Long and short is this: just quit. You have no idea how hard it is hitting your health until you do. Especially cardiovascular output.

Smoke the e-cigs as you wish. Just don't do it on my boat. It stinks and I don't want to breath that stuff.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT