• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lifesaving Fins for freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jorisvd

Jan 14, 2018
Hello Guys,

As a novice scuba diver who is more and more interested in freeding, I'm currently practicing my dynamic pool apnea's mainly.
Up to now I've always used my poolfins for normal scuba training (aqualung Stratos 3).
I have an old pair of SEBAK savers 111 (fiberglass hard stifness 65cm*26cm) from my aunt and tried these in the pool this week and they boosted my DYN bi-fins to 110 meters, when I've been struggling around 75-80 up to now.
I feel like the propulsion is insane compared to the stratos fins, although alot more taxing on the leg muscles.
I am a short stocky guy (178 cm, 100kg) with big legs(68cm quads) and I feel like my legs can take the strain easily, but I'm just worried about the oxygen consumption.

The question is basically wether I should still invest into a cheap plastic fin (for example Omer Stingray or Imersion e-fins) or if the added distance and propulsion of the clunky fiberglass fins could outweigh the increased oxygen consumption compared to the classical plastic freediving fins.
(Currently buying carbon or fiberglass freediving fins is not really within my budget)

in my humble opinion (and I do declare I have no experience with fibreglass or composites) plastic is king at the moment for those that are not totally competitive and elite.
You could probably get a lot more out of your diving by focussing on making eficiencies with regards technique, rather than going with technologically advanced and often more expensive things. Once you have developed as far as you can get with your plastic fins combined with great technique, then work on relaxation etc before slapping on a pair of fancy fins.

Reactions: Jorisvd
On target advice!

Stiff fins feel like more power, and they can be, under the right circumstances. However, you have to put enough power into them to produce an efficient bend to the blade. Being big and strong is needed. Stiff fins also have great acceleration (torque), very nice if you are spearfishing. If you want pure efficiency(dynamic distance)and don't mind slow acceleration, soft fins are better, no matter how big you are. Until you acquire really good technique, soft plastic is fine, also so much cheaper and usually more durable. Consider the cressi LDs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT