• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Line Release

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

oneoldude

Feb 7, 2005
Attached are two pictures of a line release on a speargun that is claimed to be a quasi-clone of a gun made for Mark Laboccetta. The release is hinged on a pin in the barrel and is held down by the spear. When the spear passes the release, the release flips up and releases the line.

The entire construction sequence (it is excellent) can be found here:

http://www.amazon.kodakgallery.com/...howSlide%3Dtrue&Ux=0&refreshkey=1109659561860

I think the line release is a very neat simple idea. But there is the chance that such a line release can pop up the rear end of the spear if the bands are parallel to the spear (no downward pressure on the rear of the spear).

Has anyone tried this type of release? Does it actually affect accuracy?

If the fellow who built this has tried the gun, can he tell us if it shoots low, high or what?

Mark, if you read this can you ask the builder if the release works well and how it affects accuracy?

Thanks

oneoldude

Attachments

• 156687821203_0_ALB.jpg
    156687821203_0_ALB.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 356687821203_0_ALB.jpg
    356687821203_0_ALB.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
This release is basically another version of the Line release used on Marc Valentines euroguns.
The difference is that this is an internally hidden version while the Marc Valentine guns have an external version of the same which pivots around the barrel of the gun.
Here is a picture

Last edited:
Hi Huan,

I have seen a similar gizmo on top of a gun as in the pictures attached.

I have the same question for this topside version. Do these types of line releases hurt accuracy? It seems they could move the rear end of spear and affect accuracy if the line is wrapped tightly. Has anyone on the board tried them?

If they do not hurt accuracy I think they are ideal. They are simple and do not muck up trigger pull like many other designs do. A home run, I think.

If they do not hurt accuracy, I will incorporate a similar release in the gun I am currently building.

Thanks

oneoldude

Attachments

• Daprian 2.jpg
    Daprian 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Daprian.jpg
    Daprian.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Hi Huan,

The picture did not work for me. I got a dive shop and could not find a similar type of release on it.

oneoldude

There is a old thread about it somewhere. I think it's a dyi one also so you can make one yourself.I think you have to adjust line tension to get the best results.I'll post the link if I find it.On the euro I built I went a different route and since mine is a tube gun
it's a little harder to build than on a wooden gun.I like having the release on the bottom instead of on the side but I may settle on side release for ease of building.

You guys wouldn't belive how hard this was to find.Look at the thred pages and you will see what I mean.

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=311966&postcount=116"]DeeperBlue Forums - View Single Post - Barrel Flex !![/ame]

This is the original thread it was in .Some info about it as well.
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=39913&page=24&pp=5&highlight=barrel+flex

Last edited:
aj,

Thank you for the effort to find that picture. I also read the entire thread. All very interesting.

It seems that from the thread that Omer uses the same sort of release internal to the T20 handle. Is that so? Is the spear still held down by the top of the mechanism when the line releases?

Is your setup one of these type of releases? Does it affect accuracy?

Thanks

oneoldude

I'm not sure how the omer release works.The release i'm using is completely different.It's desighn is for a mid handle wood gun but it will work with a tube gun with a little tweaking.It operates independently and does not require the spear to move to release line. It a lot more work but if you like a foward release it's the way to go. The spear sits on top and not underneath the release.Take another look at the pics.If the line release tension is to tight
it's possible for the back end of the spear to be lifted up after it comes out the mech.AJ

Last edited:
aj,

When you say "independently", what do you mean? Is it a clip or wedge?

If it is positive (not a clip or wedge) and is independent of the movement of the sear, trigger and shaft, I would like to know how it works. That would be the best bet yet.

I am interested in any design that holds the line at the bottom of the gun forward of the trigger and does not cause drag on the trigger or sear and does not hurt the gun's accuracy. That would be perfection to me!

Thanks

oneoldude

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT