• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lip damage from snorkels....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bingo

May 21, 2004
A couple of years ago I got into diving a little more seriously and hence spend a lot more time with a snorkel in my mouth. Initially I was using a cheapish snorkel which worked perfectly well. Some time (many months) afterwards I noticed that I had a very sore bottom lip - it looked almost like cold sores. The skin had peeled off in spots and they were very sensitive, made eating a curry torture !

The winter came, my diving dropped off and the lips improved. Summer arrived then mysteriously I notice my lips getting 'those sores' again....A few trips to doctors & between us we finally work out that it is friction of the snorkel rubbing at the ????? membrame on the inside of my lip. Good to finally find out the cause but how to fix it ??

Firstly I caked the mouthpiece of my snorkel with vaseline. This helped a bit but the sensitive areas of my lips were still being rubbed. I did some research & bought a Beuchat snorkel as it was reportedly the most comfortable mouth piece on the market. This also helped but the soreness would not repair. I have been using this snorkel for ~12 months now & things are still not improving and is actually getting worse with more diving...I've resorted to caking the mouthpiece with vaseline again to find some relief.

I've tried using a more relaxed grip with my lips on the tube but not sure if this helps - I always ended up with a mouthful of water.

Has anybody every experienced this or anything like this before ? Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to alleviate the symptoms ?

...I am really hoping to enjoy a curry again without torturing myself !

any thought greatly appreciated

hi Bingo

You may be allergic to black rubber mix. Have you tried changing the material type of your snorkel to a clear material?

Bingo said:
A couple of years ago I got into diving a little more seriously and hence spend a lot more time with a snorkel in my mouth. Initially I was using a cheapish snorkel which worked perfectly well. Some time (many months) afterwards I noticed that I had a very sore bottom lip - it looked almost like cold sores. The skin had peeled off in spots and they were very sensitive, made eating a curry torture !

The winter came, my diving dropped off and the lips improved. Summer arrived then mysteriously I notice my lips getting 'those sores' again....A few trips to doctors & between us we finally work out that it is friction of the snorkel rubbing at the ????? membrame on the inside of my lip. Good to finally find out the cause but how to fix it ??

Firstly I caked the mouthpiece of my snorkel with vaseline. This helped a bit but the sensitive areas of my lips were still being rubbed. I did some research & bought a Beuchat snorkel as it was reportedly the most comfortable mouth piece on the market. This also helped but the soreness would not repair. I have been using this snorkel for ~12 months now & things are still not improving and is actually getting worse with more diving...I've resorted to caking the mouthpiece with vaseline again to find some relief.

I've tried using a more relaxed grip with my lips on the tube but not sure if this helps - I always ended up with a mouthful of water.

Has anybody every experienced this or anything like this before ? Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to alleviate the symptoms ?

...I am really hoping to enjoy a curry again without torturing myself !

any thought greatly appreciated

oh yeah - the first snorkel was a clear silicon (though a little hard) & the Beuchat is black

Good thought. Thanks.

try trimming it back. I had a problem like that years ago - mouthpeice was to big and was rubbing me raw.

Amphibious said:
try trimming it back. I had a problem like that years ago - mouthpeice was to big and was rubbing me raw.

oh dear.... my dirty mind is boggling again.... rofl

try a technisub snorkel or any that has the mouthpiece with the extra plate that sits behind your top teeth - that way you don't have to grip with your bottom lip at all - might help

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT