• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Llyn Peninsula - Absolute Beginner

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ButchSchlong

May 25, 2021
Hi All,
Ive been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now. I enjoy eating fish and Ive always liked the idea of catch and cook, i guess I think there’ll be something satisfying about it. So Ive been thinking about giving spearfishing a try. A few lads i play rugby with have organised a weekend away in abersoch next weekend, so i thought this would be a good chance to head over early on the Friday and catch the high tide in the afternoon.

As a total beginner i’d appreciate a bit of advice on the crucial gear I’d need. Ive had a look at this page https://www.spearfishing.co.uk/beginners-guides/spearfishing-kit-guide/ Wetsuit (7mm?), speargun, mask, snorkel, fins etc. i know I’ll need but if there was any specific advice on kit that would be really appreciated.
Also is there anything which isn’t a necessity? (My budgets a bit limited).

Lastly If someone was happy to recommend a good place to try / bob about in the sea on the llyn peninsula - as a total beginner that would be appreciated too :)

Thanks

Hi, a 5mm spearfishing wetsuit will be perfect, a good fitting mask and snorkel, some fins, a weight belt, socks and gloves

Speargun on the the hand, whats your price limit for a gun, that will give me a good idea on where to point you

as for spots i would be happy to recommend one, when you see this message drop me a DM

cheers

Reactions: Mr. X
For a single UK speargun I've been thinking lately that an 80cm carbon fibre Omer XXV might be the best all-rounder. But no longer sold :(, so something similar. As used by respectedformer forum members OMD (RIP) and Pavel.

I most often use by beloved Omer XXV 75cm and 90cm. But often now swap up (usually) or down in size, once in the water. Hence 80 cm suggestion.

Or two spearguns: 70-75cm and 90-100cm?

Or one 70-75cm rollergun?? (Length of a 75 but power of a 90+??) :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT