• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lobster diver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lemoni

Aug 23, 2006
Hi,

just discovered DB, I live in Bermuda, looking foward to the start of the lobster season next friday, anyone out there free diving for lobster with a noose? We are no allowed to spear them here.

Hm, that must be a nice place to dive! Welcome to Deeperblue. It's a great resource, and lots of fun :).

Our season opens Sept. 6th . . . the day I have to go back to work! :vangry Welcome to another bug grabber, anyway. We can only use our hands.

Reactions: Mr. X
Nope, sunny (and too hot!) southern California. We have lobsters, too. Some of them purrrrrrty big!

Have you thought about the 'ticklestick and net' technique? It takes time to master, but from what I hear it is quicker than the noose deal once you get it right.
B

I haven't grabbed any, yet, since I still a raw beginner but we occasionally get them up to 4-5 kilos.

Lemoni

You should shoot an email to scott who also is in Bermuda. Just do a search for "drunkinbda" and email him.

Ken

Ok so what is the "ticklestick" and net method? we are only allowed to use a noose or here, but I am intrigued. The noose is quick and once you get your technique down very easy.

I don't personally use this technique - in the Bahamas we gig 'em with polespears and slings - and so I believe it goes something like this:
Tap the bug on the tail with the ticklestick and he will turn to face the percieved threat. Tickle him again as he faces the t'stick. Now he'll move backward and that is where the net comes in and the diver is supposed to scoop up dinner! Sounds simple but I'm not sure that it is and as with everything else will take some practice. Perhaps some other DB'er has better insight into this and possibly some experience...B

I can see the logic but all sounds a bit fiddly, just back from a weekend of lobster diving, 1st of the season is always exciting, bigger ones the first day didn't do so well the second day but didn't go hungry and even managed to pole spear a respectable size Hogfish. Do you need a licence where you are to spear lobster/fish?

Looks like will not get to go diving this weekend as Florence is headed our way sun/mon, maybe we'll get a quick one in friday night.

It's Saturday nite... is the storm kicking up yet? Lobstering is always good after the storms ..thats when they start moving. Go figure?!!! B

Sadly I had to work saturday and saturday night was spent taking the engine off the boat and bringing in the garden furnture and accumulated rubish. Did get out friday evening and got a spiny and a slipper. I wasn't lobster diving 3 years when we had our last big blow ago so I don't know about how good it is after. But good to hear they move about after storms, Cheers

Florence was not too bad catogory 1 and most of the eye missed us, no real damage. Went out yesterday with an old guy, friend of a friend this guy is 70 and still dives everyday the weather is good. I was thinking about putting a shortie on as the water is starting to cool down, I am glad I didn't as he would have put me to shame , he dives in just shorts no weights, no gloves, no rash vest. Showed us some great holes and had some great stories. Hope I am still diving when I reach 70.

No worries, mate, some of the original San Diego Bottom Scratchers were still diving into their 80's, I've been told, and we've got some Neptunes who are more than a bit long in the tooth, too. Absolutely inspiring to a young sprout who's just pushing 60!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT