• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lobster hunting..

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm also not a native speaker.
I didn't get the "true meaning" of the post as well, and I was waiting for your reply to Mishu's somewhat over-excited reaction.

These forums are international, english is used because it is THE international language (anybody speaks esperanto here?).
I don't see a reason to diss Mishu's english, your post was definitly not "standart". There are plenty none-native speakers here with different levels of eglish proficiency, these misunderstandings are bound to happen.

You did break the reef, even if it was 25 years ago, and you consider it as a part of the learning process. I still think it's tragic.

Regarding "even if just to get a few 'community' pats on the back. " : both of your posts sounded too personal to me, eventhough "he started it". ;)

Obviously no amount of explaining will get either of you to understand the nuances of poetic license in a comic story.

I suppose you also actually believe that i actually stripped the poor creature of absolutely every single leg, feeler, and fin ... and took exactly 10 minutes to do so because I said so too ?

As for dissing his English , i did not. I made an allowance for it.
As for his 'Somewhat' over- excited reaction.. Somewhat ? Come on already. Somewhat ?

Just for the record. I referred to the environment generically as reef. Les't you and he incline to think it actually was a "coral" reef. It was not. It was a pile of rocks. I mentioned that in advance and obviously FIGURATIVELY broke pieces off to get TWO fingers in. Dah!!

I am conservation minded very much so. But its these "Somewhat" over - zealous misguided reactions that put the hating on "bunny huggers" and do more damage to conservation than if you had just kept quiet.

"Insightfull and artistic :D -DeepThought"

I quote a very nice positive karma you once sent me. I would have thought that with your obvious powers of interpretation and insight you would have easily been able to see that the piece was lighthearted and largely figurative.

Come on already

Last edited:
I'd appreciate it if we could return to the subject.

Let's leave semantics and ethics to another forum or just private message each other - or send each other your phone numbers and talk about it like adults.

---------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen any lobsters over here in the UK during daylight so I think that a night time dive may be in order.

I doubt I'll take a speargun along as it will be easier to focus on looking for lobos than spearing fish or possibly your buddy (does anyone go night spearing with a buddy ? Sounds unusually dangerous...)

Anyway - also found out from a local diver that lobsters shed their shells in about January so are holed up for the winter - can anyone confirm this ?

Cheers
Ed

Ok ok, I redraw any of my off-topic remarks from this thread.
Apparently I have too much physics studies in my head right now (test soon) to be able to appreciate or interporate anything artistic right now.:blackeye

It was just one of those misunderstandings, the world is full of those.

Artistic license is great fun, but can also get you into trouble. ;)

Night spearfishing:

Haven't tried that.

Shouldn't be that risky if only one person goes down at the time, no?

If you're diving with lights, I guess it's not that hard to follow your partner from the surface, even with bad viz, but I don't have expirience with bad viz AND night freediving.

For night freediving with no lights at all, we connected a lightstick to the back part of the weight belt. They didn't implode or anything till 25 meters (bottom), and it was easy to spot from above.
And, it doesn't interfere with the diver's night vision, since it's connected to the back. Worst case - you'll have some ambiant light coming back at you from a rock/wall from the side.
I don't know how a lightstick would affect spearfishing though.

I think it's a good enough concern to start a thread about it, if there wasn't one already.
(hint->) I'm lazy and busy and jealous of everyone who's going to night dive or freedive soon, 'coz I won't. So I'm not about to start/search such a thead. :)

if you want to take pot shots at my english skills or spelling go right ahead, its fine by me. the fact that i type fast and commit mistakes because, frankly i dont give a damn, is beside the point. you destoyed coral to attempt to get a lobster, the equivalent of me chopping down a 300 year old tree just to get an egg from nest.

mishu, be careful before you cast stones....are you telling me youve never accidentally bumped coral...never shot a fish an had the spear imbed in the reef...never done something dumb?

Sounds like you should send your membership fee into PETA and hug a tree or two.

Skindiver, I enjoyed the story.

Reactions: Skindiver
yes Rigdvr,i can say with all honesty that i have NEVER bumped coral, had a spear hit coral. i have never done something dumb for the two following reasons:
1- The islands in Kuwait are a good ways out, should anything happen you are (Sven removed this word...).
2- There are already enough morons out there who dont give a damn about the environment and only care about their enjoyment at the moment. i have a little bro and hope to have children, and i want them to be able to enjoy the very same islands and reefs that i have the opportunity to enjoy.

My view of the marine environment may seem to be very anal to some people, but i have seen first hand the destruction of the marine environment.
so yes maybe i misunderstood his post. i am humble enough to admit when i am wrong, and for that i take this opportunity to apologize to Skindiver.

and yes rigdvr i am a member of PETA: people eating testy animals, for i believe there is enough space for all of god's creatures right next to the mashed potatoes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Daytime lobster, 4.5lbs biggest I have ever got ;-) 12m sandy bottom with a small rock ledge protruding from the sand.
I didn't have to break any rock or coral to get this boy but when i couldn't fit my hand around the carapace I knew that I wouldn't need anymore fish that day.

Attachments

• smllob.jpg
    smllob.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 472
Reactions: Mr. X
Nice Lobtster Huan :) They can get quite big, an old freind of mine called John Stubbs got one near 10lbs back in 1977 off the Llyn peninsula and someone else who I cant remember exactly who got a 12 1/2 pounder in Pwll Fanogl in the Menai Straights about the same sort of time, both were like rubber tyres though apparently :(
edit bit on the end.... both of those were caught using scuba

Last edited:
forgive me then Mishu for you are a better man than I. If you have ever swam near coral you have probably killed some by stiring sediment.

His story was written in humor but I can see where the language barrier would make it hard to pick up the subtle nuances. Thats the problem with the english language, identicle words can vary in meaning tremendously depending on context.

While I do respect your views on the marine enviornment, I would warn you of being too fanaticle. There are extremist out there that would like nothing more than for us to have no access to this wonderful resource. Similar to religion or politics, people tend to get highly defensive when you try to establish your beliefs to be the only acceptable ones. Once everyone gets defensive, there can be no constructive dialog.

Back to the lobsters....man am I hungry :p Here in redneck land we also enjoy their smaller cousin the "mudbug" aka crawfish. We boil these mini-lobster look alikes by the hundreds of pounds at a time, pinch the tail then suck the head;) Ill try to find a good "crawfish boil" pic

no rigdvr. im not that anal with my views. the reason i am this way about coral is because a large part of it died after the 1990 gulf war here in Kuwait when those Iraqi mo fos decided to spil oil into the gulf killing the ecosystem. the fact that the environtment is ok to this day is a miracle. and all i want is to guarantee that these reefs will be out there for generations to come. if oyu can imagine the impact that it had on me with my house being on the beach and seeing dead fish covered in oil and dead birds washing up on a daily basis... those were some of the sadest days ever...

and if you do notice, i did apologize to him..

EDIT: i just read your comment on my karma thing. thanks rig. im just going to drop the subject.

back to the subject:
i have seen some crayfish in kuwait, but have never gona after them because they were always too small and wasnt sure on just how exactly to prepare them

Last edited:
Huan you are the man!

Thats a beautiful lobster:p what techniques do you use to capture and cook them?
All the lobster fishermen in the western fisheries board area now have to register their vessels (even curraghs) and tag their catches. Its great to see that its possible to catch Lobsters independently a flip the bird to the authorities:hmm

Technique? I don't have a technique!
I just dropped almost on top of this guy and when he waved his claws at me i waved the spear in front of him to distract him then grabbed him from behind.
He was actually quite tasty not too tough at all I boiled him in salty water for 3-4 minutes a pound.
made a sauce with melted butter,lemon juice, garlic and parsley.
Pleasant.

Attachments

• sl.jpg
    sl.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 521
someone sent me some negative karma for my last respons and called me a "tosser"...WTF is a tosser? How can this person be so mad at me when the person I posted it to understood?(I explained myself in the POSITIVE karma I sent to Mishu you tool)

Tosser? rules out an american:D Lob some more, Ive got plenty of karma to spare...

I believe that the term, "tosser" is similar to our use of that endearing and warm moniker, "jerkoff". Euros... whatya gonna do? :confused:

Mishu- much love and all, but be real sure that the sand you walk on is just from the native strata and and not fragments of coral, lest some consider you hypocritical. :hmm But I get your drift, even though it's a bit overfocused. Thanks for your apolgy to Skindiver.

And Skin, I enjoyed and appreciate your wit and attention to spelling- truly smooth. Much like drawn butter on the tail of the meal before you. Lobster or otherwise. :p

Our season opens here in a couple of weeks and the bottom is guarenteed to be torn up.

Reactions: Skindiver
whew...thats a relief! I was thinking along the lines of "salad":yack You never know what to expect from people that think extremely hairy, fat men SHOULD wear speedos to the beach

:D

Reactions: Murat
hey Rigdvr: you forgot old, fat and sometimes hairy women being topless :yack

Last edited:
Originally posted by Huan

i waved the spear in front of him to distract him then grabbed him from behind.

From this i understand, "let her taste the steel" thing is illegal there too:D rofl If it were me, i don't dare to get close to those big claws before putting spear between her eyes:eek:

Did i sound too wild? sorreyyy..:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT