• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lonely

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jago25_98

Feb 20, 2009
I really miss diving but I often can't find anyone to go with me.

I've been to a few clubs but they're cliquey and whenever I'm there it seems to be pool training.
I've had a few threads on here and elsewhere but I rarely get any interest.

Its probably easier if you're in one place rather than moving about.
My dream would be to go dive every day but the dive buddy seems to make it impossible.

I have the option of paying. Often this means doing a course though. There's a whole tom-foolery around qualifications and trust.....or is it clique? I just want to enjoy. Perhaps I can pay someone? I just need a fee that isn't extortionate

I'm in Taranaki, New Zealand at the moment. I'd like to dive Taupo. Other places I'd like to try or spearfish - south coast UK, Hong Kong.

Spearfishing seems completely different attitude.

I still find it hard even now to let go of the idea that some solo diving might be possible... Or rather, extended snorkeling as it were. The problem is there is nowhere to draw the line that I can see.

I still find it hard even now to let go of the idea that some solo diving might be possible... Or rather, extended snorkeling as it were. The problem is there is nowhere to draw the line that I can see.

So, here is what i did during my last vacation in South Egypt:

Every morning i went to the reef at 6 alone, got into the water, dove several times to up to 10m, with maximum dive times of maybe around 40 seconds, stayed in the water for like 1-1.5h each morning. And it was great! I had encounters with dolphins, turtles and even a Blacktip shark one morning. Was it a violation of the #1 rule in freediving of never diving alone? Absolutely! But was it really that big risk? I don't think so. The one security measure i took was to set a 30sec alarm on my dive computer. As soon as this went off i went back to the surface.

To be clear, i don't advise diving alone but i don't think any more that it is impossible and it's my decision to take the risk or not.

Reactions: jago25_98
I really miss diving but I often can't find anyone to go with me.

I've been to a few clubs but they're cliquey and whenever I'm there it seems to be pool training.
I've had a few threads on here and elsewhere but I rarely get any interest.

Its probably easier if you're in one place rather than moving about.
My dream would be to go dive every day but the dive buddy seems to make it impossible.

I have the option of paying. Often this means doing a course though. There's a whole tom-foolery around qualifications and trust.....or is it clique? I just want to enjoy. Perhaps I can pay someone? I just need a fee that isn't extortionate

I'm in Taranaki, New Zealand at the moment. I'd like to dive Taupo. Other places I'd like to try or spearfish - south coast UK, Hong Kong.

Spearfishing seems completely different attitude.

I totally get what you mean. It's so frustrating not to find a buddy and being able to get in the water. It seems especially difficult while travelling. I've been getting in the deep blue snorkelling, and probably gone over the line for what is actually safe quite a few times. Which don't feel good at all. But not to getting below the surface at all feels too restrictive and painful even. Like you wrote, I would really like to know where I can draw the line and keep myself safe. For a while I counted my diaphragm contractions, and when I got to 10, I went for the surface. I probably wouldn't go that far now though.

Good luck finding a buddy :) for the both of us

Here is a million $ idea. Devellop an app for freedivers and spearos to connect with buddies based on location and availability comparable to doodle for freedivers with location options, profile etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a million $ idea. Devellop an app for freedivers and spearos to connect with buddies based on location and availability comparable to doodle for freedivers with location options, profile etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bad. I'm thinking about developing an app but never had a good idea. This deserves a second thought...

Reactions: Divingin
Hi all! Let me know when app will be ready;-) I'm also interested :)
And ofcause all you guys are warmly welcome to visit Lithuania for diving together in our lakes :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT