• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Long fins for scuba diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

oceanus

May 30, 2005
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum. I've been scuba diving for more than a decade and I've recently got myself a pair of long fins for free diving. They are wonderful for free diving but I'm just wondering if it's feasible to be used for scuba diving as well. Has anyone tried it? If so, please elaborate why is it feasible or not. Thanks.

Oceanus,
a few posters here use long fins for scubadiving. In fact there are a couple threads here that discussed the subject in the past. Here is one of them:

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=61032"]spora sub for scuba?[/ame]

The only problem that people seem to have using long fins for scuba is in close situations like cave or wreck diving. Otherwise, they're a pretty good bet.

Thanks for the infos. I love my Gara 3000, besides they bend gracefully underwater when I go skin diving. I'm going to try it out for my next dive. I guess my buddy would recognise me easily in the water as I'll be the only one who use long fins here for Scuba diving.

Gara 3000 has a nice reputation. It should work quite well. Let us know how it goes!

I know a very experienced diver in Florida who uses (or who has used, anyway) freediving-style fins on scuba. Personally, though, when I tank-dive I use Scubapro Jetfins (an old-fashioned scuba fin). We have a lot of kelp forests locally, and although I can navigate them fine with long fins when freediving, with the added gear of scuba I'm not as maneuverable so I find a shorter fin easier to use. I'm sure this is one of those variable-mileage topics ...

I too use mostly long fins for scuba. Had them on a wreck last month. They didn't bother me much but i did scratch them and i wasn't pretty happy about it :head . Good that i took the old ones :). I had no problems even swiming iside the wreck. As for other dives they are perfect for me. I already laughet a few times watchin some divers finning like crazy in strong curent. :cool:

There is another thing I have to mention. I had problems diving with long fins in Egypt. They didn't let me. They said I would damage the corals.... Good that i had my small fins with me.

I absolutely love long fins for scuba. I worked as a divemaster for a year driftdiving (Palm Beach) in a pair of Cressi long fins- not sure which model- and they were great. Effortless manuverability, just a flick of the ankle did the trick.

Now I have the Gara 3000's and love those too.

You need to dive in though (place your tank a little low so as not to hit your head)- the giant stride entry sucks with the long fins. They look really cool too!

Honestly, I don't even like diving without long fins that much- My old scuba fins feel like tugboats comparatively. :cool:

Well said NH. I have sold one of my sets of scuba fins because I love my Sporasub H Dessaults. Of course I don't scuba that much anyway.... :D but that's beside the point. Longfins are great.

Personally I use long fins for every thing from freediving to Tec diving. I've used them for over 14 yrs now (JB Esclapez). In close enviroments they don't seem to pose a problem b/c of their extra length. After diving w/ them enough you "know" where they are. Their added power helps a lot on scuba in a heavy current. One word of caution, if you are doing anything on the bottom be careful not to bend them severly.
Jay

I gave up Jetfins in 1979 for Cressi's Rondine L fins, all rubber long fins.

They brought out Gara fins about a year or so later, and I've never gone back.

Long fins are as good on scuba as they are for freediving!

Chad

I am a spearo....

I have got Garas 3000 's aswell....always use them, when I did my open water I was advised not to use them, you know csuba guys :),....

Grr. I spent waaay too much money for my scuba stuff, then ended up selling it because it was the wrong gear in the first place. Oceanus, make sure you shop around and make sure the gear is exactly what you want. Scuba stores don't always tell you about the best deals, ie longfins instead of other types. Good luck and I hope your fins worked well!

long fins are very good i have friends using them in scuba and tey dont even think about diving with out them . what i have to mention is that long fins add to speed but also need stonger legs

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT