• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

long waist .vs. farmer john

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
Some articles say long waist wetsuit pants are better for better good respiration. But what do you think as a hunter? Do you think it is worth to cut your farmer john into a long waist?

me? I think farmer john is better as it covers most of the body part and keeps you warmer... also the chest part makes an additional chest pad for reloading.

This was the Elios response when I asked them the same question Mehmet.

"You don't loose warmth on the chest with an high waist pants because:
> >- the top will be more aderent to the skin and will not have holes inside (salopette create an empty spaces inside)
> >- is better a little vest than long john for keep warm
> >- long john reduce the breathing"

Hope it helps

I was thinking about cutting the Ocean Mimetic for summer diving as the long hours in the water sometimes requires quick removal of suit (physiological requirements :D)

I will see how the Elios suits feel before I cut the Omer though.

Shane

Shane,
Let us know how it works with the new suit. I'm wondering myself because like you, I need a quick release port hole.:D I've got a farmer John suit now and I hate to pee in my suit.:yack And I'm dreading the day that the ham and bean supper wants out and I'm in the water.:hmm

In my opinion, the best combination is: jacket and high pants. If its cold, then wear a 2mm vest. This gives you freedom to do the physiolocal needs faster and more comfortable (by no way peeing in the suit).
I had long johns one time, but there is nothing more confortable than a 2 pieces combination to stay clean and relief!!

Roberto

hi

Just curious, if you're shore diving with a open cell wetsuit, how do you take your wettie off to pee?? Do you leave the water???

I've got no problem with peeing in my suit. Just wash my suit out in wetsuit antibacterail wash after every trip. No odour in the wetsuit then. Also when you take the suit off at the water, i use the soapy water thats left from the time i put the suit on, to give myself a quick wash down :eek: Then you don't have that pee smell!!!

By the way, in cold water i seem to pee much more. Maybe 5-8 times in an 5-6hour dive session.

miles

Shane call me Memo, like all my family and close friends :D

I know peeing is a big problem for most of us but believe I pee about maybe 10-15 times or more in a cold day! I almost pee after every challenging aspetto! I can cut my ocean mimetic too but really dont know if it worths. (It will be better to see your experience before)

I totally agree with shane for diving as the long hours in the water sometimes requires quick removal of suit (physiological requirements ) and especially for this reason Memo all the serious spearfishers I know prefer the long waist.
And also because of this some brands on the market have no long john model..

I just need some more encouragementr to cut mine :D

I love my suit, so I'm not sure cutting will gimme more..

Miles:
there are some options:

-if the boat, shore,rocks/island are too far or you are in the open ocean, well...float, pull down the pants and pee! I ve tried this with 13C cold water and its easy to warm up again. In SA I think that you wont have a cold water temp problem!

-otherwise, just go to the boat,shore or island!

I think that it is a matter of feeling comfortable, I just dont like to pee in the wetsuit while diving for 6-8 hours long, so thats why for me just staying clean inside the wetsuit is really the best.

Roberto

I was thinking same thing too...

But i will try it as it is first... I don't like the idea of the cutting the new wet suit for now...

Memo, did it bothered you so you want to cut it? Or you just think it will better this wasy..

I'm very very pleased with the current setuo of my suit :D but I'm just curious if its worth or if it could bring serious advantage to cut the suit into long waist...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT