• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Look for a speargun grip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearmantw

Oct 13, 2004
Hi everyone,

i am new to this forum but during past several weeks, i have learned a lot about spearfishing in different countries.
I am living in Taiwan.

My friends and i prefer to use a speargun with wooden barrel due to its better buoyancy. We made barrels by ourselves.

I am looking for a type of gun grip that the barrel is inserted into the grip.

Currently, i am using the grip of "Undersee" but am trying to find if there is any better options for us.

Could anyone advise the brand such as picasso.... and where to buy it.

Many thanks.

Spearmantw

Hi mate and welcome to the DB forum.

The best grips to use for your barrels would be the following:

Omer Excalibur or T20

Beuchat Mundial (can handle heavy loads)

Picasso Century

Demka

I suppose you could fit RA ones too

I am not sure where you would buy them in your part of the world but maybe Mark Labocetta from Omer America or even the Scubastore can help you out.

If you still have troubles let me know

Shane

Hi Shane

Thanks a lot.

In Taiwan, there is not many brands of speargun to buy,
we don't have picasso, omer, beuchat, Riffe, Rob Allen...to buy but only have sporasub, jbl, rabitech and other local brand.

therefore i have to purchase them from other countries.

By the way, i have seen other grips but have no idea of if they are "female" grip.

Esclapez Concept Trigger
Esclapez Challenger/Phantom
Rebitech Apex Spearguns

Could you advise if they are the type i want

Thanks again.

Spearmantw

I am using latest version T20 with anatomic handle its very nice to use;)

You will find that most of the hand grips ie Picasso, Omer, Esclapez, Rob Allen etc are designed to accept alloy tube. Therefore they have a male end on them. Undersea hand grips are different in that way. They are made with female hole in the hand grip and accept a 25mm tube. You could try to make a sleeve onto you timber spigot and them fit that onto any of the above mentioned brand hand grips. Hope this helps some.

Hi everyone,

Really appreciate your info and suggestions.

Could anyone advise where to buy the grip of Rabitech Apex?

Many Thanks.

spearmantw

Anyone tried the Esclapez concept grip?

www.scubastore.com almost give'em. They let'em go for 23.47$us.

Thought it was crap, but I've seen it on Adrenaline spearfishing supply, and they were selling it for around 130.00$us ( around the same price they sell their Picasso grip). That made me think it's not that crap.

milhouse said:
Anyone tried the Esclapez concept grip?

Thought it was crap, but I've seen it on Adrenaline spearfishing supply, and they were selling it for around 130.00$us ( around the same price they sell their Picasso grip). That made me think it's not that crap.
The esclapez grip is good for what it is designed for, dont expect to make a big Tuna gun out of it but it is designed to be used with 2 x 20mm bands. I have one and its been 100% reliable, the adjustable handle is excellent (even if some think its a weak point :hmm ) and the line release is a joy, down side is the saftey/ trigger sensitivity selector is very stiff but then I dont use it. For that price buy it :D and be happy :D

At 23.00$, maybe the trigger mech isn't there, maybe it's fust the hand grip. I have to check it.

Get a Beuchat Mundial handle. It is more expensive than the Omer and the likes but can handle more load.
Here are some pictures of wooden barrels mounted on the Beuchat Mundial handle. Note they are open muzzles.

Attachments

• acajou4.JPG
    acajou4.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 291
  • pastisentier.JPG
    pastisentier.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 315
Hi OregonSpearo,

Thanks for the input.
Our guns look exactly the same as you attached except our handles are the Undersee's menta grip.

Thanks to the replies here, i know that there are several anatomic handles such as omer, Beuchat, Picasso, Rebitech Apex ...etc. I am so eager to buy all of them.

But you guys in EU, Austrilia NZ or US might not believe or might think it is ridiculous that any parts of speagun are regulated as "WEAPON" in Taiwan.
Each person could only have "ONE" gun. If you are a fishman, you may have "TWO" guns.

We need to apply for an approval for "BUYING A GUN", after the approval, you could buy a gun and apply for the gun licence.
Your gun will be tagged a serial number and pictured by local police station and they will have a check every month. If there is any changes on your gun, you will need to apply for other approvals....or you will be in trouble.

And the key points are when applying for license, you need to submit the Legal acquisition certificate which could be got from the leagl dive shop for the gun and any import of any gun parts is not legal......

Hence, I really envy you guys..........
To legally have a speargun is fxxking troublesome process.....in Taiwan.

Spearmantw

Actually, Sweden is the same. In England you can get in trouble for having tear gas.
Do you know of any Taiwanese-made or Chinese-made spearguns or spearfishing equipment?

Guns available in Taiwan are Sporasub, Cavalero, JBL , Cressi sub Pneumatic and other local guns called Sailor and Diamond. Omer, Rabitech, RA, Riffe…are not available in Taiwan.

10 years ago, the most popular gun was Cavalero and it was highly recommended by old spearos. It is very durable and accurate. I intend to buy the Ultimate model as my first gun but it seems no longer available. Sporasub is the most popular gun now.
BTW, lots of old spearos prefer to build their own wooden gun, which looks like the guns in Palau, very simple, very long….

The quality of local guns is bad. The trigger and handle of Sailor are very similar to Undersee but the materials are very poor. Just forget it.

Spearmantw

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT