• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking after your gear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

Just a quick question what do you guys do to look after your fins mask after diving. I just rinse in fresh water a put in cupboard. Now I have found that my mask is getting all this green mildue/Slime crap in it, and my fins are getting white stress marks on them. Could this be associated with poor gear cleaning. Ive heard that some put their mask in disinfectant, and wash their fins with this as well. Any suggestions/ideas.

cheers

Sure , washing your mask in disinfectant can't do any harm , we rinse all the diveschool gear like that .
I prefer not to wash my spearing mask and snorkel : am conducting a scientific experiment . I have both blue- green and red algae growing in my snorkel , battling for territory . It provides me with endless entertainment on slow days ...:duh

Poisonous algae eh?
That would explain some of your posts...:D :D

Silicone grease has been recommended to me as a way of keeping fins and masks in tip-top shape. and one day I will buy some the stuff...:hmm

No my friend, Blue-Green algae are the other kind.. :confused: the non-oxygen releasing ones, whose name escapes me atm..:eek:

Good thinking but..:cool:
Maybe a small forest inside the snorkel could increase bottom times?:D

I sometimes clean my mask, a Mares Target, when doing the dishes....works perfectly...

Johan

I am into my second mask, it is a TUSA with a vent, scuba one. The first one died cause the sealing area got cracks so leaking all the time but it also has some sort of black algea/fungus ???? Some can be cleaned and some simply penetrated the silicon material and can not be cleaned.

The second same mask also had the same algea problem since the silicone is clear type.

I don't wash my own gear, let the boat crew do it. I suspect the water in the marina is lousy ( it is lousy though ).

My fins don't last cause it is the full foot type of Mares and the pocket or blades can not be replaced. At first I used a simple Seaquest Kevlar fins and the size was small at 6-7 whereby I am 7.5. I always break the heel pocket every 4-5 months. After so many Seaquest fins, I tried the Mares Tire. Last a bit longer. Now I am again using Mares Tire but size is a bit bigger and need to wear socks, this much last longer cause not much compression on my foot and thus the pocket seems to be a bit relaxed. Without socks my fin migth come off if I kicked hard and I get blisters.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT