• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

looking for a cheap underwater camera

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tereferek

Apr 18, 2011
I am an amateur freediver, I never got deeper than about 30 feet - and I don't think I ever will. I plan a vacation trip and chances are I will be able to dive on reefs. I am looking for some cheap (or at least not too expensive) underwater camera, that will also serve as a backup 'idiot' to my DSLR. I know about Canon Powershot D10 - any other similar (better/cheaper) cameras of the same type?

if you have a smaller camera, i recommend you buy a waterproof pouch. mine cost about $20. Dicapac is the brand. they work great! ive even taken mine to 80ft(on scuba) so far it has not leaked yet but the pressure does compress the pouch to the point that all the cameras buttons get pressed at the same time making the camera inoperable, but this only happens at 60ft onward...hope this helps

Jer

Unfortunately, I don't have a small one - and I don't like the idea of putting relatively new EOS 7D bought in December under water in a $20 pouch. I would have no problems with $100 camera, but $1600 seems a little bit to risky to my liking.

Perhaps pouch plus a $100 camera will do the trick, I will have to think about it. I was thinking about waterproof camera as it would suit my biking and hiking - actually I lost a small Olympus several years ago after getting drenched in a thunderstorm :(

OK, did some digging. Seems like Dicapac makes also pouches for large cameras, more expensive, but much cheaper than the rigid waterproof camera cases. Still, I don't like the idea...

I am an amateur freediver, I never got deeper than about 30 feet - and I don't think I ever will. I plan a vacation trip and chances are I will be able to dive on reefs. I am looking for some cheap (or at least not too expensive) underwater camera, that will also serve as a backup 'idiot' to my DSLR. I know about Canon Powershot D10 - any other similar (better/cheaper) cameras of the same type?

In this area (compact under water cameras, which are shockproof and waterproof up to 12 meters - 40 feet) Panasonic TS3(FT3) is far the best camera at the moment and Panasonic also produces cheap underwater housings (40 meters -130 feet) for both cameras, TS3 as well as for older model TS2. The last year model, TS2(FT2) is also very very good camera.

My TS2(FT2) UW pics/movies (camera witout additional UW housing, freediving up to 10 meters deep) from Sharm el Sheikh, october 2010: http://public.fotki.com/Primoz/sharm-el-sheikh-oct2010/ [ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/PrimozP#grid/user/B611F38883E656A0"]YouTube - PrimozP's Channel[/ame]

Canon D10 is decent UW camera, but it is ugly and bulky and has no HD video.

And don't buy Olympus compact UW camera (http://public.fotki.com/Primoz/panasonic-ft2-ts2-v/). This is the worst possible choice. Especially in the "department" of compact UW cameras Olympus with SW and Tough models has worst quallity of photos. Even UW Pentax Wxx cameras, which has no IS, produces better photos than Olys.

BTW, in last 6 years I have owned this UW cameras: My underwater cameras album | Primoz | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. and I have tested allmost all other UW cameras like Canon D10, Olympus 8010, ...

Last edited:
In this area (compact under water cameras, which are shockproof and waterproof up to 12 meters - 40 feet) Panasonic TS3(FT3) is far the best camera at the moment and Panasonic also produces cheap underwater housings (40 meters -130 feet) for both cameras, TS3 as well as for older model TS2. The last year model, TS2(FT2) is also very very good camera.

Thanks, that's the kind of information I am looking for :)

The GoPro HERO is awesome in every way. We used them at Vertical Blue 2011 and I was impressed -- especially considering the incredibly low price !

My Canon D10 died, simply doesn't work in water anymore. It never took particularly good photos. I have a Canon G11 + housing which takes GREAT shots, but that's a pricey setup.

You can get cheap disposable cameras (try ebay) - the images won't be digital unless you scan them though :). A friend (SCUBA instructor) trashed his expensive camera when his case leaked - so might be worth lubing the seals if you get a case.

Amazon sent me a link to waterproof cameras today (I think they keep an eye on what you look at and try to guess what might interest you :)), they have quite a lot: Underwater Cameras

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT