• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for a dive buddy.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nicko2k1

Apr 10, 2014
hope this post is okay Admin,
For all those spearos looking for a dive buddy for safe spearing come and join our FB group.
UK spearfishing buddys
Make it home dont dive alone.

Reactions: NNW64
Personal responsibility - I think it's something that's been forgotten these days.

Can I ask - how long have you been spearfishing? In the 70s and 80s lots more people spearfished and very often alone. I seriously dont know of any blackout deaths, or in fact any deaths?

I was a member of your group but was put off by so many videos of a loaded speargun being pointed at people just to make a video- that my friend is very bad practice but each to their own. Just spare the lectures to old guys who have probably been spearfishing since before you were born.

Personal responsibility - I think it's something that's been forgotten these days.

Can I ask - how long have you been spearfishing? In the 70s and 80s lots more people spearfished and very often alone. I seriously dont know of any blackout deaths, or in fact any deaths?

I was a member of your group but was put off by so many videos of a loaded speargun being pointed at people just to make a video- that my friend is very bad practice but each to their own. Just spare the lectures to old guys who have probably been spearfishing since before you were born.
Firstly i cannot speak for people with loaded guns on the group,
Like you said old guys who have been spearfishing since the 70s and dive alone,
Very bad practice and nothing to shout about.

Yup you old guys know best, keep doing what you do best, talking out your arse

Very pleasant comments and a good indication of your undoubted intellect.

Ernest Hemmingway once wrote - the first draft of anything is shit.
Having re read your comments I can only assume you posted your first draft ?

:D That was quite funny but keep if friendly/respectful chaps. Different strokes for different folks an' all that.

Hi Nicko, I saw a couple of your posts, I too am not sure what the policy is on FB these days so I am checking on that.

Reactions: Andrew Fogarty
:D That was quite funny but keep if friendly/respectful chaps. Different strokes for different folks an' all that.

Hi Nicko, I saw a couple of your posts, I too am not sure what the policy is on FB these days so I am checking on that.

We are a great bunch of Spearos on UKSB.
I have dived with so many members on there,and met some good people.

I cant stand it when people quote other words, wanna be middle class yuk.

@nicko2k1 - my issue here is that you are using our member base to promote your FB group to. So far you've promoted on two different threads (here and Dorset thread). I am not a member of your FB group but if I joined would I see reciprocal posts about forum threads or articles from DB in your group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@nicko2k1 - my issue here is that you are using our member base to promote your FB group to. So far you've promoted on two different threads (here and Dorset thread). I am not a member of your FB group but if I joined would I see reciprocal posts about forum threads or articles from DB in your group?

Clearly you seem more concerned about the advertising of my group on here, and having nothing in return.
I advertised not to make the numbers on UKSB but to help fellow spearos find a dive buddy, as i see safety first before anything.
this seems to have become an issue on here with one of your members, stating that diving alone is good practice.
I will remove my post and refrain from any future use of DP.

Correct my issue is using DB as a platform to promote a competing service (in this case on Facebook) in multiple posts. I am not drawing judgement on anything else as I have not had any reported posts.

I have applied to your FB forum/group so will see if you accept me.

Many thanks!

Correct my issue is using DB as a platform to promote a competing service (in this case on Facebook) in multiple posts. I am not drawing judgement on anything else as I have not had any reported posts.

I have applied to your FB forum/group so will see if you accept me.

Many thanks!

Like i said i will remove posts not a problem.

Sorry Nick, I prefer to think of myself as more upper middle class but that's not relevant nor something I have any particular issue about.
I have met many United spearfishing members in my spearfishing travels and have no issue with your group but I obviously have a very different outlook to you about personal choice and safety.

Reactions: SubCurrent
Sorry Nick, I prefer to think of myself as more upper middle class but that's not relevant nor something I have any particular issue about.
I have met many United spearfishing members in my spearfishing travels and have no issue with your group but I obviously have a very different outlook to you about personal choice and safety.

Thats correct very different outlook on personal safety.
As for United spearfishing group never heard of them.

Hi Nicko, apparently your posts promoting FB are in breach of the forums' "cross promoting in different threads" rule. Please remove them.

Really JohnDory, I had you down as aristocracy, like the rest of us, tally ho!

Last edited:
Reactions: SubCurrent
Giday Lads how's the old dart treating you. I'm a proud and well bread convict. In response to the nay sayers regarding diving alone. If I had a dollar for every time Ive done it I could buy friends. There is a chance that a buddy could be helpfull in the extremely unlikely event of SWB but if I chose to do I don't need others to tell me its dangerous or irresponsible because its not. If it was there would be a law against it like wearing a helmet on a push bike. But in saying that if you want dive with a buddy that's fine, see the difference ?. I take more precautions than most, don't push my boundaries and don't try to bust my lungs, so when am I blacking out. and Mr X, Luv your work. Cheers

Reactions: Sorandril
Giday Lads how's the old dart treating you. I'm a proud and well bread convict. In response to the nay sayers regarding diving alone. If I had a dollar for every time Ive done it I could buy friends. There is a chance that a buddy could be helpfull in the extremely unlikely event of SWB but if I chose to do I don't need others to tell me its dangerous or irresponsible because its not. If it was there would be a law against it like wearing a helmet on a push bike. But in saying that if you want dive with a buddy that's fine, see the difference ?. I take more precautions than most, don't push my boundaries and don't try to bust my lungs, so when am I blacking out. and Mr X, Luv your work. Cheers
Diving alone when new to spearfishing is dangerous and very bad practice.
Just because you can drive a car, doesn't make you a good driver.

I totally agree regarding your level of experience and I have dived plenty with others its just not always possible. I guess learned to dive alone so its just normal foe me. And I would never encourage others to dive alone its just a personal choice.

I can certainly say that most of the freedivers that die in my area (10-15 a year) are the older generation from the 70s. They are pioneers, and no disrespect, but they bring their diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol out on the water with them, alone.

Many of these deaths aren't SWB, but other health issues that crop up while in the water. And bodies go missing for weeks.

Diving with a buddy may not ever save you from SWB unless your doing one-up one-down (which I definitely dont), but it can ensure your body is retrieved and brought home to family in case of an emergency.

Here's an article of 2 deaths just this week, both guys were 57.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5626910-181/body-washes-ashore-on-mendocino

Reactions: Sorandril and Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT