• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

looking for assistance with Frenzel...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

espresso

May 31, 2016
I'm surprised there aren't more threads about this. Just took our certification class last weekend. Had a great time, wonderful instructors. Not a lot of time was spent of learning the frenzel EQ. I've done a significant amount of scuba in the past too all recreational depths without issue using the standard EQ techniques.

I've watched numerous videos on youtube, downloaded a few things. Still having issues with it. I purchased one of those baloon tools and have begun using it. So far i'm not entirely certain how to measure my progress with it. There's no one to talk to about these sort of things out there, I can't find any freediving facebook groups. Anyone have a moment to speak with me? could be phone, PM, etc. I'm located in Treasure Coast, Florida.

Mark

I'm surprised there aren't more threads about this. Just took our certification class last weekend. Had a great time, wonderful instructors. Not a lot of time was spent of learning the frenzel EQ. I've done a significant amount of scuba in the past too all recreational depths without issue using the standard EQ techniques.

I've watched numerous videos on youtube, downloaded a few things. Still having issues with it. I purchased one of those baloon tools and have begun using it. So far i'm not entirely certain how to measure my progress with it. There's no one to talk to about these sort of things out there, I can't find any freediving facebook groups. Anyone have a moment to speak with me? could be phone, PM, etc. I'm located in Treasure Coast, Florida.

Mark
It's not a technique I employ much at all since most of my dives are 110 ft or less for spearfishing. I noticed when I had to go beyond 120 ft, I couldn't rely on the Valsalva anymore. This became apparent during my Level II certification class.

One trick that's worked for me doing the Frenzel maneuver is to nod your head, like you're trying to touch your chin to your throat/chest. Do this while having that little pocket of air in your mouth and moving it to the back, near the throat. That movement helps piston the air into my ears to equalize. It took some practice before I was able to perform it at depth. My instructor at the time mentioned he did this as well in helping perform this maneuver.

There's only a few ways that come to mind in testing this out. One is to consciously block the lung air from your throat and perform the maneuver. Another is to do negative pressure dives (shallow of course), reverse pack, and try to clear your ears. And another is to just descend to depth and see if you can do it.
Not sure if that helps, but it's what I've done in the past.

It's not a technique I employ much at all since most of my dives are 110 ft or less for spearfishing. I noticed when I had to go beyond 120 ft, I couldn't rely on the Valsalva anymore. This became apparent during my Level II certification class.

One trick that's worked for me doing the Frenzel maneuver is to nod your head, like you're trying to touch your chin to your throat/chest. Do this while having that little pocket of air in your mouth and moving it to the back, near the throat. That movement helps piston the air into my ears to equalize. It took some practice before I was able to perform it at depth. My instructor at the time mentioned he did this as well in helping perform this maneuver.

There's only a few ways that come to mind in testing this out. One is to consciously block the lung air from your throat and perform the maneuver. Another is to do negative pressure dives (shallow of course), reverse pack, and try to clear your ears. And another is to just descend to depth and see if you can do it.
Not sure if that helps, but it's what I've done in the past.
I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Can you elaborate on what "reverse pack" is

I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Can you elaborate on what "reverse pack" is
Reverse packing is a technique used to draw air into the mouth when you're down to only your Residual Volume in your lungs. Some people call it a "Grouper Call" because it doing the technique produces a sound. When you're doing negative pressure dives, you're starting out with you exhaling as much air as you can. Then going to depth, even more so you won't be able to bring air out into your mouth without reverse packing.

thanks, i don't think i'll be at depths requiring that anytime soon
Reverse packing is a technique used to draw air into the mouth when you're down to only your Residual Volume in your lungs. Some people call it a "Grouper Call" because it doing the technique produces a sound. When you're doing negative pressure dives, you're starting out with you exhaling as much air as you can. Then going to depth, even more so you won't be able to bring air out into your mouth without reverse packing.

Mark
I've taught over a thousand people how to frezel, I've been teaching freediving since 2008.
I've created an online course that teaches my step by step method of learning frenzel.
According to the survey it has a 92% success rate, and I offer a 30 day money back guartnne. If you don't learn the technique I'll give you a refund.

Take a look @ https://immersionfreediving.teachable.com/p/road-map-to-frenzel

I've taught over a thousand people how to frezel, I've been teaching freediving since 2008.
I've created an online course that teaches my step by step method of learning frenzel.
According to the survey it has a 92% success rate, and I offer a 30 day money back guartnne. If you don't learn the technique I'll give you a refund.

Take a look @ https://immersionfreediving.teachable.com/p/road-map-to-frenzel
as luck would have it, I appear to have figured it out. once I got it I practiced it many times. got some ear pain in one ear later in the day. it's declined but has persisted for two days now. Doesn't appear to be an infection. no hearing changes, no equilibrium problems, no fluid in the ear... no idea what i did. does not hurt if i equalize. very strange. anyone know what this might be?

I knew exactly what frenzel is, what is open, what is closed, what muscles are used etc., but could not do it. Then I stumbled upon this video and started doing frenzel after watching it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT