• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

looking for info

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eshepard

Apr 24, 2004
I am just begining to get involved in freedving. i am looking for literature about training techniques for breathholding and diving. It seems as all the books I would buy on amazon.com are no longer in print. could you guys reccomend some literarute (books and online) and point in the direction of where I could buy books?

thanks a lot

There are not a lot of books around and when you find one there is a big chance that it is in french or italian or it is very superficial. Which books could you not get, maybe a forum member would like to sell you their copy of it. The best online manual I know of is the german ApnoeManual www.stefansfreedive.de.vu

If you are just beginning there are a lot of good articles here on deeperblue on safety, training techniques and other subjects.

If you are serious about freediving you will need a buddy to train with. Find one with experience or do a freediving course and you will learn a lot. Just in case: do not try to get information just from books because the right execution of technique and safety procedures is very important and you also do not learn scubadiving or skyjumping just from reading a book and then go out and do it.

You could get a lot of information from a national organisation of AIDA, Free, CMAS, ...

Thanks a lot,

yeah i wasn't going to just read a book, i m an experienced scuba diver and know that there is no substitute for expert knowledge. Tanya Streeter's freediving manual is an example of the types of books i was looking at. I guess I really want some literature on training exercises for increasing my breath hold times.

I contacted jon in madison and hope to get some instruction from him this summer

Tanya Streeter was going to publish a freediving manual with Idelson-Gnocchi, but this fell through (although for some reason Amazon.com still has an empty entry for it).

Instead Idelson-Gnocchi has opted to translate Umberto Pelizzari's Corso di Apnea into "The Freediving Manual: Underwater on a single breath," and this will be published in September. The Italian version has sold thousands of copies and is the most authorative guide so far written, covering physiology, psychology, finning technique, equalisation, diet training, safety and much more to do with apnea.

There will be more information available on this site when the book is published, as well as reviews, an interview with Pelizzari etc.

hi

Cant wait I shotgun a copy right now, Will do ya know how much it'll cost?

cheers

US$30 - 50
Fully illustrated (diagrams, pictures), 400 pages

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT