• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for information on training _SAFELY_

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

schai

Nov 16, 2004
Hi! I just discovered "dynamic and static apnea". I am awed at all the information I see on the internet. I love to hang out under water.... pool, hot tub, lake, ocean, etc. I've done free diving all my life, but after a shallow water blackout at age 16, artificial respiration, gurgling up bloody pool water, and a couple of nights in the hospital, I've been afraid to push myself very hard. So I've been gradually losing endurance for the last 45 years!

Just tonight, I've picked up on a whole lot of techniques that I am doing or have done wrong..... like free diving from a dive boat after my first scuba tank, hyperventilation, and scaring myself with dizzyness when I blow out my snorkle.

HELP... I need to find a good starting book or article on _safely_ extending my bottom time. I'm not likely to have a training partner.

My email address is schai@chartermi.net

Thanks!!!

Welcome to Deeperblue! I'm glad that you have already found a lot of information.

If you are planning on pushing the limits, you really need a training partner. Training alone, whether in the pool or sea, is definitely not a good idea.

I hope someone can help with the book or article, as I can't think of any now, but if I find one I'll post it.

Lucia

Hey - alot of spearos dive alone - not recommended but alot do. If you plan to dive alone (again - not recommended) then look at their forum for dive techniques.
I would get a dive computer sooner rather than later. I bought one and although it is not as good as a buddy by any means it can help (ie like when you have been looking at starfish for a while or something else and forget how long you ahave been down for - you can set an alarm on the watch [D3 or Mosquito seem popular choices]).

Now I feel safer with the information at hand to decide and make decisions. Alot of it is how you feel but you can check it against the reality of the situation (ie minutes submerged and current depth). ie if you feel good but have been down at 20m for 3mins then something might be actually wrong.

Again - I am not advocating diving alone but the reality is that people do dive alone. I do and have found that some metrics help.

Other things like knowing your limits and not even remotely pushing them alone is a good yardstick. Some may say that to go into the water alone is too much of a risk...
Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT